Popple Watch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanrose

Reaction score
I have 5 does due over the next few weeks. That's not a lot to some people, but here it's a TON!

First up was Narnia, my opal doe, bred to my registered chocolate buck. She had 10(!) on Thanksgiving. We have 1 black agouti, 1 tort, 2 chocolate agouti (one of whom is still on the skinny side), 1 chocolate, and then 5 REW/Ermine/Pearl things. Really hoping for pearls, REW isn't impossible, but less likely.

Next up is Morgan, a chocolate pearl doe, bred to a REW buck to test whether she is cchd, or cchl. She's due I think on Wednesday.

After that I have Voom, a Red doe bred to a REW buck. Voom was BOB at the National specialty this year, so we're really excited to see what she has. She's due the 11th.

And then due the same day is Katniss, who I bred to Harry. This is an English Angora litter, which I don't have many of, so that will be super excited. Pedigree is 1/2 Chu on both parents, and both are really typy. Can't wait to see what I get from them!

Finally, I have Daisy and BIS winning Peela, both bred to my old boy Lou.

I can't wait to see all the shiny babies, they are so much fun, and yet I am wondering how on earth I am going to get any sleep over the next month.

Well this has been a fun ride.. I think. Maybe.. I'm not really sure. It could be the fact we had record snow and cold, in the middle of it all.. Or just the sheer number of first time does.

Litter 1 - Narnia's is just opening their eyes. I lost one at 4 days, and one who jumped out at 10 days and froze. So I have 8 healthy babies who are looking adorable. (yes, I'll take photos)

Litter 2 - Morgan waited till the coldest day of the year, or the last 40 years to deliver her 8 BIG babies. I lost one who just never caught on, so she had 8 babies who are too fat to move.

Litter 3 - Now this one is out the National BOB winner. I was given her by her breeder, with the agreement I'd give him back a few REWs to continue his REW program with. She overheard this. After getting her settled in here, I bred her to my young REW buck. She had THIRTEEN babies. THIRTEEN. All in the box, all cleaned up. ZERO REWs. LOL I have no idea how that even happens (her sire is REW, she carries it). Instead we have blacks and agoutis. Thirteen! For a first litter. I did lose one this morning, but they're 48 hours old, warm, getting fed, and so far so good. Satin Angoras are amazing moms.

Litter 4 - My English Angora litter. Both parents are 1/2 Chu, and very typy. The doe is almost 2, and I have no history on her. She overbaked them, and they were born this morning. She had built a beautiful nest, pulled hair, but scattered them, probably partially due to the fact they were big. I caught it early enough to warm up 4/5. THey're now inside. I am hoping her maternal instincts kick in, since I can't exactly foster them over to Voom with her 12. Sigh.

I have two more litters due, one of which is the last litter out of my old boy, but at least both of those does are experienced moms.

Congrats on your popples!

You can tell REW's from ermines at birth because ermines eyes will look dark in the sockets, not pale like the REW's. Pearls tend to look like ermines, but are usually smutty looking to begin with.

Glad your SA is such a good mom, I had an oversized (15#) SA doe that always ate her kits, even if they were healthy. Sweet doe to people though.

My satins are all incredible moms. They breed easily (we joke they have teleporting sperm, put them in the same cage and boom there are babies!), deliver easily, rarely lose kits, even first time moms (all of these are first timers) are excellent. My english on the other hand, are not as gung ho. Currently I have the 4 EA babies fostered over to the mom with 13 (now 11 satins, two were just too small to make it) the litter divided in half, and I am hoping for good results, if I can get the EA to feed them a bit on the side.

Back