Poop poopy do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog92

Reaction score
My rabbits seem to go through a lot of hay, and what they don't eat ends up on the ground. What I want to know is can I take that hay with all their poop and pee and put that directly into my garden and mulch my plants with it?

The only issue I've ever had with putting waste hay where I'm growing things is the incredible amount of weed seeds that spring up. Most of it is a real treat for rabbits - all sorts of thistles, clovers, etc. but not so great for the garden. Other than that the manure is excellent for plants fresh from the rabbits. I try to put the more hay-laden waste off to the side of the yard and the purer stuff goes to the garden.

There's usually someone popping over for a bag of bunny 'berries' about every other month or so. Plus the gardens here get a top dressing between each planting so it stays pretty clean under the hutches. Although the last fellow who came to get berries for his garden was actually wanting the worms. Not sure how he doesn't have worms in his garden since he got a lot of worms with the last batch of berries but he said he just dug up his whole garden and only found one worm. Well, he's been resupplied, hope they thrive.

Not sure how he doesn't have worms in his garden since he got a lot of worms with the last batch of berries but he said he just dug up his whole garden and only found one worm. Well, he's been resupplied, hope they thrive.

He's over in Pauuilo, they get loads of rain - about 8 and a half feet per year, but it's got loads of drainage so that should be good. His plants would need the same sort of water conditions as the worms, so if there's living plants shouldn't there be living worms? I'm suspecting he may put some sort of chemicals on his garden that the worms don't like. If someone uses chemical fertilizer does it chase worms away? The 'bunny berries' under the hutch are dry with no worms, but right behind the hutches where the berries from the upper level land along with rain, every shovel full is teeming with worms.

In any case, does anyone else add chemicals to their garden after using bunny berries for fertilizer? We only add in oyster shell to lower the acidity (oyster shell doesn't wash away) and some 'bio-char' (crushed charcoal that doesn't have lighter fluid on it) to give the nutrients somewhere to go instead of being washed away. Between bunny berries, oyster shell and bio-char, the gardens seem to thrive. The oyster shell and bio-char are only added every few years, but a layer of bunny berries is added between each planting.

Latest posts

Back