Please help, dropped bleeding baby bunny!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imogen Rose

Reaction score
Against my instinct I let a little boy hold a 3 wk old baby rabbit.( wouldve been awkward to refuse!)
He dropped it onto concrete, he is 10... so I guess a 3.5 to 4 ft high drop.
I grabbed the baby quickly, he has no broken legs as far as I can tell, but blood came out of his nose.
Is he going to be okay? What is the likelihood of him being dead in the morning etc??
Im so worried and upset, its my own stupid fault, I didnt tell him to sit on the floor first which is what I usually do...
This baby is so special and important, I know it shouldnt make a difference which bunny it is but im just so upset!
:cry:

I don't really have any advice, just wanted to say I am sorry for your worry! It could have happened to any of us!

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad run of luck and the baby got dropped. However, do not count on the baby making it. All you can do is give supportive care and not make the same mistake again. Hopefully with some tlc and watching, he/she will be okay. Some times the insides of their nose do bleed if they bang them off the cage wall or scratch them otherwise. If the baby starts to show obvious signs of trouble, grinding/huddling alone/cold feeling/screaming/more blood/tremors/etc, you may have to put the baby down.

Perhaps the blood is just from a superficial injury to the nose. If so, the kit will likely survive. It is something more serious, such as internal injuries or a serious head injury, the outlook is not good. There is not much you can do except watch the bunny, hope for the best and be prepared to euthanize it if it is obviously suffering. Pretty much what Rebel.Rose already said.

Thanks for the replies.
I have come to the same conclusion. I instantly wanted to take it to the vet- stupid I know. There is nothing I can do, it will either be okay or it wont. Just really cross and upset with myself, as it is completely my fault. Can I give the little bun some willow? could it do more harm than good?

A 3-week old rabbit is not likely to be able to eat willow. Hopefully the injury is not serious. Many of us have learned, some of us the hard way, to choose an awkward situation over the health and safety of our animals.

I have decided that I will always take the awkward situation over my animals safety. I'm the sort that never wants to offend or upset anyone, but there is no chance i'm allowing this to happen again. An injured bunny is not worth a persons possible feelings.

The bunny may be too young to eat willow, but I'd try it anyway. My naturally-fed rabbits eat all kinds of fresh greens by three weeks. It can't do any harm to try it giving it some small twigs to nibble. It is the bark that has most of the pain relieving content, but the bark of small twigs is quite tender.

Thanks for all the replies, bun's is totally fine! He had a nibble of some willow, and they are eating the doe's food and greens. He is fine, but im not sure my nerves are better yet!

Back