Plant Identification

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albert

Reaction score
I'm going to honest, when it comes to identifying plants we're not the sharpest pencils in the box. I bought some herbs last week, lost the label and had to ask my neighbour what I'd planted!

I get the feeling we're missing out on a lot of free foraged rabbit feed but I'm always too cautious to give plants I'm not 100% certain about a try.

Can anyone recommend a good phone app or book that we could use. I do use Google Lens at the moment but I don't fully trust it for plants.

(The herb was Parsley 🤣)

Thanks

if you can use google lens to find the latin name, and then google the latin name safe for rabbits that should be a good help to you.

Seconding arachyds Petersons field guide, but if you can find someone who is familiar with your local flora having someone teach you in person is the best way to learn how to identify plants in your area. Apps make mistakes and so do untrained eyes. Look around for a local foraging group and join them if you can

Seconding arachyds Petersons field guide, but if you can find someone who is familiar with your local flora having someone teach you in person is the best way to learn how to identify plants in your area. Apps make mistakes and so do untrained eyes. Look around for a local foraging group and join them if you can
We emigrated to France 18 months ago so unfortunately stuff gets lost in translation. Like when I asked them about the herb. Answer; Persil. That's when we both go oh no ANOTHER word we don't know! Oh it's parsley!

Foraging is pretty much a given in the French countryside. So I'm a Grade 1 idiot when I can't recognise herbs in my own garden! 🤣

Also, if you have a good foraging spot and you see a car near it that isn't local you let down it's tire, if you see an English car near it you let down all four. I'm English and I've been told to only use my French car for foraging.

Foraging is pretty much a given in the French countryside. So I'm a Grade 1 idiot when I can't recognise herbs in my own garden! 🤣

Also, if you have a good foraging spot and you see a car near it that isn't local you let down it's tire, if you see an English car near it you let down all four. I'm English and I've been told to only use my French car for foraging.
Greenfoods for Rabbits & Cavies by F. R. Bell is a good one. It has UK plants, so there may be some French ones not listed - not sure where you'd find information for those.
Greenfoods for Rabbits and Cavies - Fur and Feather

I'm going to honest, when it comes to identifying plants we're not the sharpest pencils in the box. I bought some herbs last week, lost the label and had to ask my neighbour what I'd planted!

I get the feeling we're missing out on a lot of free foraged rabbit feed but I'm always too cautious to give plants I'm not 100% certain about a try.

Can anyone recommend a good phone app or book that we could use. I do use Google Lens at the moment but I don't fully trust it for plants.

(The herb was Parsley 🤣)

Thanks
Just on to this, for rabbits. Very interested in herbs for rabbit health. We use herbs for health ourselves and are sure they are essential for rabbits(Genesis 1:29)

Latest posts

Back