Pink eyes (Unwanted feature) male, crossing with blue or brown eyed females =?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what eye colour i will get, if the buck is pink eyed white and does are:
grey and white, with blue eyes
brown and white with brown eyes

Is a pure white with pink eyes an albino colouring from the genes?

I believe that the albino/Red Eyed White will be less-dominate than the does colors. So the Red Eyed White coloration would probably not show up much or at all in your litters. The colors would more likely be coming from your does, in combination with whatever the buck might have hidden in his genes.

The REW comes from two copies of the albino gene, cc, (one from each parent), so your buck will for sure pass one copy of the albino gene to any kit he sires. So it depends on whether your does also carry a copy of the REW gene. If they don't, then none of the kits will be REW, but they will carry it as a recessive gene and would likely produce REW if bred to another REW carrier. If your doe does carry one copy of the REW (which is recessive, so you wouldn't see it), they will likely have some REW kits when bred to your buck. The only way to know if your does carry it is to breed them and see if you get REW.

As to what colors you will get, since your buck could be hiding anything underneath that REW, who knows? REW basically covers up a rabbit's true color, so he could be anything under there! I don't think you'll get the pink eyes unless the kits end up with two copies of cc and are REW (or I suppose they could end up as Himalayan, chc, if your does carry the ch recessive, and those have pink eyes), so it just depends on what recessive genes your does might be carrying.

Last edited:
I kinda like the ruby eyes now and blue eyed white ones look spooky. But, as mentioned, the Ruby Eyed White is an albino and takes two matching 'c' genes for it to appear. Since the doe is colored, she's not albino (no double 'cc') and none of her kits will be albino IF she doesn't carry the gene for albino.

Do you know if any of the does have an albino parent? If any of the parents of your does is a REW, then that doe will be able to have REW kits. Bred to the white albino buck about half will be albino. If none of the parents are white, then it's less likely (but not impossible) for albino kits to show up.

I kinda like the ruby eyes now and blue eyed white ones look spooky. But, as mentioned, the Ruby Eyed White is an albino and takes two matching 'c' genes for it to appear. Since the doe is colored, she's not albino (no double 'cc') and none of her kits will be albino IF she doesn't carry the gene for albino.

Do you know if any of the does have an albino parent? If any of the parents of your does is a REW, then that doe will be able to have REW kits. Bred to the white albino buck about half will be albino. If none of the parents are white, then it's less likely (but not impossible) for albino kits to show up.
I thought I would hate the pink eyes too, but lo and behold, we got a few surprise REWs in the nestbox and we really don't find them creepy at all. We think they're really cute! Turns out the black buck and at least one of our broken black does of our original trio carry the c recessive, it just took several litters for them to show up!

20211231_171630.jpg

I thought I would hate the pink eyes too, but lo and behold, we got a few surprise REWs in the nestbox and we really don't find them creepy at all. We think they're really cute! Turns out the black buck and at least one of our broken black does of our original trio carry the c recessive, it just took several litters for them to show up!

View attachment 28596

Are those New Zealands?! They are beautiful. We are happy to have all the colors from the Rex we have now, but we found that we actually miss the cute little pure-white (minus the little color they get as they grow up) bunnies from our Californians. :)

Are those New Zealands?! They are beautiful. We are happy to have all the colors from the Rex we have now, but we found that we actually miss the cute little pure-white (minus the little color they get as they grow up) bunnies from our Californians. :)
Yes, they are New Zealands. Thanks! We're keeping that REW in the picture as a breeder because he's had the best growth rate of any grow out we've ever had! He's nearly 9 pounds already at only 15 weeks!

Yes, they are New Zealands. Thanks! We're keeping that REW in the picture as a breeder because he's had the best growth rate of any grow out we've ever had! He's nearly 9 pounds already at only 15 weeks!

Wow- that is really good. It's so neat to see them growwwwww!

The REW comes from two copies of the albino gene, cc, (one from each parent), so your buck will for sure pass one copy of the albino gene to any kit he sires. So it depends on whether your does also carry a copy of the REW gene. If they don't, then none of the kits will be REW, but they will carry it as a recessive gene and would likely produce REW if bred to another REW carrier. If your doe does carry one copy of the REW (which is recessive, so you wouldn't see it), they will likely have some REW kits when bred to your buck. The only way to know if your does carry it is to breed them and see if you get REW.

As to what colors you will get, since your buck could be hiding anything underneath that REW, who knows? REW basically covers up a rabbit's true color, so he could be anything under there! I don't think you'll get the pink eyes unless the kits end up with two copies of cc and are REW (or I suppose they could end up as Himalayan, chc, if your does carry the ch recessive, and those have pink eyes), so it just depends on what recessive genes your does might be carrying.
On target genetics here!

View attachment 28596
Not only are the rew‘s gorgeous with their eyes matching their ears and nose, your photo is also beautiful. What are your babies enjoying? PS- I am partial to REW because I have 3 who adore me and I adore them right back.

Not only are the rew‘s gorgeous with their eyes matching their ears and nose, your photo is also beautiful. What are your babies enjoying? PS- I am partial to REW because I have 3 who adore me and I adore them right back.
Thanks! Looks like they have some Roughleaf dogwood (Cornus drummondii), Callery pear (pyrus calleriana), and wintercreeper (Euonymus fortunei) in that picture. It got too late in the year for the dogwood and pear not long after that picture, so now they just get wintercreeper each day as forage (with their hay and pellets). They love it, it's evergreen, and we're lucky enough to have a big patch of it right by the barn (whatever the deer can't reach, that is - apparently they love it too)! Here's the cat helping me collect some! I don't feed the berries as I don't know if they are safe, and I don't want the seeds spread everywhere I use the bunny droppings as it is highly invasive.

20220101_090219.jpg

Last edited:
Yep- still a nice weight! I know some lines of rabbits can just take forever to get up to butcher-weight and adult weights; it's great when you can get stock that doesn't have that issue.

Scales can be a problem! My digital scale doesn't like any sort of tilt when it is weighing a rabbit, and it seems to not work well for a rabbit that puts its weight on one side of the scale vs the other. And I can't stand trying to use a regular analog scale! I hope someday to get the nice small animal veterinary scale from KW Cages. It compensates for the animal's movement and has a good tray for them to sit in. Seems like with all the weighing that's done for rabbits I should just buy it!

Back