Phenotypic Chin out of generations of selfs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdiefu

Reaction score
I have an American Blue doeling from full pedigreed (I can track about 14+ gens for this litter on globalpedigree) parents, who came out with something agouti based and I really don't know how. I was thinking steel at first, but has a light belly, so leaning towards chin....but if a parent was a self chin there should be only phenotypically selfs if no agouti in the mix!

Sire is a blue (aa B_ C_ dd E_), but through test breeding found he carries REW so must be Cc. Bred to black torts, he threw only black kits so should be EE and even if he was self steel should have thrown some agouti or something. So for sire I have him at aa B_ Cc dd EE, no reason to throw this weird kit. This is dam's first litter, she is just a regular looking blue with normal gray-ish eyes, so should be aa B_ C_ dd E_. Both are from pedigrees with only blue for 3 gen, one white on dam's side 4th gen, from then on all blue with a light smattering of whites here and there for the rest of the pedigree.

Litter in question is 9 kits, all blue except this one weirdo, first noticed the lighter inner ear when they started to fur out around day 3. Then the light belly. Fur started looking speckly but for a while was hard to tell if it was the light or not. Now she is 8 weeks and she looks like blue chin to me, but it shouldn't be possible. I could see the doeling maybe being self chin if mom was carrying chin and the kit also got a c from dad. But to express it she should also need A, and I have no idea how that happened. Anyone know if I'm missing anything? Thanks!

Pics follow starting when she was little. Here a normal blue littermate on left, than the weird kit on right.

s6JbnRwl.jpg
didNB04l.jpg

Next normal kit's tummy on left, doe in question on right.

jrw6NGal.jpg
hkrhtdtl.jpg

Weird doe at 8 weeks:

TX6yp4bl.jpg
ixRCyq9l.jpg
FnNiDPYl.jpg

Nope, its an even shade of blue then white tips. The white starts sooner on the belly fur, about halfway down the shaft. On the body it is around the last 1/4 of the hair. She is really confusing me!

American blues can be hidden steels or other such strange colors, I've seen some quite oddly colored kits pop out of them.

Hmm, I have heard of Americans throwing odd ones too, I am just so confused as to what color genetics might be going on here. Steel has a dark belly and you can't have a self chin that carries A, correct?

There is an dominant black allele in the extension series, which made agouti rabbits dark self.
If you have normal extension in the mix you can get a combination of agouti and normal Extension or Steel which match your rabbit. F.e. checkered giants may carry this dominant black too.

Back