Pedigrees

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsbabygirl

Reaction score
I have pure breed rabbits that don't have pedigrees. How do i start to keep pedigrees on them and the offspring to eventually have fully pedigree ones down the line. When i bought them they didn't have names or anything but i do know what the parents were which were purebred pets and the parents name. What do i put down for them and do i use the parents since i know what they are color breed and everything. They don't have prefixes just regular pet rabbit names so how do i write the name on the pedigree. If i have a rabbitry now but i do not have it registered do i still put my prefix in front of the names? How do i make pedigrees for them?

Put down the info you do have. So parent's names and the rabbitry they came from, if the breeder doesn't have a rabbitry, I put the owner's name or initials. If the breeder didn't name them, you name them and put the breeder's rabbitry/initials before it, like the parents.
The offspring that you choose to keep and breed, those you name after your rabbitry. When they have kits, you pick the best and breed them, pedigree tree should be filling up real nice by then.
In two generations, you'll have a pedigree for the grandbuns.

What C&B said. :) It is also worth it if you haven't already to become a member of the ARBA...I love it, they send you a good book and you get their magazine, Domestic Rabbits.

What breed do you keep? :)

Thanks for the help. Im new to pedigrees and show rabbits. I'm not a member yet but I am thinking about joining. So what if i don't know the bunny that i bought's parent's name but i know that they are pure bred and what color they are but i cant get a hold of the seller to ask the names, do i just forget about them and start the pedigree with my bunny or what? I couldn't afford the pedigrees around here and i'd like to start my own line out of my pure breds. They are nice and I've been learning how to breed to make better quality offspring. I'd like to be able to say i put all the hard work (fun) in making good show quality rabbits.

Just start breeding, keeping the best, breeding them and so on. Keep all their info and you'll have your own pedigreed rabbits down the road.

rabbitsbabygirl":xdcu0gq0 said:
what if i don't know the bunny that i bought's parent's name but i know that they are pure bred and what color they are

In order for the pedigree to be complete, it has to include the weight of the rabbit.

So just list the info you have- if you bought them from a guy named Bill, you could list them as "Bill's Buck" and "Bill's Doe".

Latest posts

Back