Pearl's Big Attitude

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
About two days ago Pearl started getting a 'Netherland Dwarf Himi Doe Attitude'. What I mean by that is basically, she's being super grunty. (Pretty much all of our Himi Does are like this.)
What I don't understand is why it came so suddenly. She was so gentle and nice and she loves being pet. I'm hoping that she grows out of this attitude but we're going to try and sell her at the next rabbit show (Near the end of this month) and I'm afraid that we won't be able to sell her because of the way she's acting. You can see some of it here: The Paper Shreds From Dollar Tree Turn Rabbit Paws Blue
Here are some pictures while she's being a brat: IMG_20220212_144010508.jpgIMG_20220212_145019454.jpg
Is there something I can do to make her act better? (She's four months old)

Last edited:
Update: I took her into the living room so she could run around and she was pretty happy but when I caught her and put her back in her cage she was mad again and started thumping at me

I would say it's just puberty hitting hard, teenager hormones kicking in. Wouldn't name it "wanting to be bred", sure, that would put other things on her mind, but I wouldn't rush it. But I'm not really sure what you mean by "atitude", I mean, you can still hold her and fim like that without your blood all over the place :D

I would say it's just puberty hitting hard, teenager hormones kicking in. Wouldn't name it "wanting to be bred", sure, that would put other things on her mind, but I wouldn't rush it. But I'm not really sure what you mean by "atitude", I mean, you can still hold her and fim like that without your blood all over the place :D
Lol

By attitude I mean if I look at her funny she'll start grunty squeaking
If I open her cage too

wants to be bred. Why do you wait til 6 months to breed?
Ive got a book on. Netherland Dwarfs and it has basically all information on show Netherlands and stuff and it says you should wait till 6 months. And I've looked it up and just about everything says with till 616447917768003251014603542077307.jpg16447918266364553870356644971738.jpg

in my experience breeding the smaller fancy breeds....you breed them when they are ready. I never go by some arbitrary number. Rabbits are as individual as people. some are ready sooner than others. Grumpy, grunty girls are telling me they are ready to breed. :)

people say this with all sorts of breeds... such as meat rabbits shouldn't be bred until they are 9 months old.... and I've learned that breeding them sooner... doesn't shorten their breeding life or health status, or growth. It might affect their show career... but since I only have access to three shows a year it's easy for me to work around that.

in my experience breeding the smaller fancy breeds....you breed them when they are ready. I never go by some arbitrary number. Rabbits are as individual as people. some are ready sooner than others. Grumpy, grunty girls are telling me they are ready to breed. :)
To bad we're not breeding her lol
She kinda ugly for a Netherland

I've seen lots of does get grumpy after the first couple of months. Usually a pregnancy and litter will settle them down dramatically so "wanting to be bred" is a good summation of the situation. Rabbits breed at a very young age and should be separated by the time they're 3 months old, maybe sooner. I don't doubt the information in that guidebook has led to some unexpected litters.

I've seen lots of does get grumpy after the first couple of months. Usually a pregnancy and litter will settle them down dramatically so "wanting to be bred" is a good summation of the situation. Rabbits breed at a very young age and should be separated by the time they're 3 months old, maybe sooner. I don't doubt the information in that guidebook has led to some unexpected litters.

Yeah. This is one reason breeders often say bucks make the better pets! The does are just fine until they mature, and then they can be a bit grumpy. They're not the nicest for children to be regularly handling and trying to play with when they are like that. :)

Back