paypal fees

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Why do people get so freaked over paypal fees? On the chin forum someone sent in $200 for a chin, the breeder had problems, and they refunded the money but the person didn't get back the ~$7. They flipped out demanding the breeder send them the fee. The breeder did so but they were still missing the $.30 tax. So they demanded that back too. It sparked a 3 page thread. I called the whole thing silly.

Now we are getting chins. I had to send it in 2 payments from 2 accounts because my account and no interest card on there is still my maiden name and I couldn't put it all on there and I couldn't add our bank account. We had to use my husband's account for a portion to withdrawal from the bank account that's under our married name. After I sent the first payment I got an email from the breeder complaining about the $6 transaction fee and wanting me to pay the $4 fee on the second transaction. We are talking less than $10 out of $100s. It's loose change, pennies compared to the amount sent. Why is it such a big deal? I waste that much buying stuff I don't need when we go to the grocery store or using the dog wash instead of my bathtub.

Because people are cheap...

I use Paypal all the time, typically use a balance so there is no fee to the other person, but as far as the other fees, I price my rabbits enough to offset that small fee. The point is you get the money instantly, and it saves me from having to haunt my PO Box waiting for the check 'sent yesterday' for deposits.

I don't really use PayPal much anymore because of the fees. But, it's kind of my "paycheck" so I can't have $20 magically disappearing every week. Now I use Intuit Payment Network - $.50 per transaction.

We don't have this issue on fish forums, people understand there is a fee with Paypal. Maybe there's more adult minds on there? Which is weird, since rabbits can cost hundreds of dollars, I guess fish are a more expensive hobby in the end...
People have two options, send as payment or send as gift. If you have problems with fees, then you won't have any backup when things go wrong with money sent as a gift. You'd have to be pretty stupid or petty to sell via gift, as the buyer can screw you over easily. But same goes for the buyer, seller can screw you via gift.
Some fish people get around this to chill out the few cry babies by demanding an extra fee, math done before and listed with the purchase price, to cover the fee. Basically adding a few percentage of it's real worth as the real selling price.
Some sellers, myself included, can buy or sell with other certain people via gift. As we have a ranking system with comments and people will talk and you'll ruin your ability to buy/sell almost overnight. But that's something that's only possible with things that can be shipped, not live animals with a possible 3rd party picking them up and driving them personally and all that.

It's not the other person's fault that they don't know how Paypal works and they shouldn't have to pay/refund those Paypal fees. Clearly those people cannot read and shouldn't be handling anything important anyway.

Weird the fees didn't get refunded. I've made a living selling on ebay for the past 10 years and whenever I have done a refund the buyer is made whole. Maybe the fees are not refundable under certain payments. I'm of the belief that your selling price should cover your fees. I'd never sell something $xx.xx plus fees. I'm also of the belief that if you refund a payment because something went wrong on your end, the buyer should be made whole. I personally wouldn't quarrel over 30 cents but it's easy to say it's not a big deal when it is another persons money. If I unintentionally shorted a buyer 30 cents, unless the buyer told me don't worry about it, I'd make them whole. A buyer shouldn't have to pay a penny for a sellers mistake.

I totally understand the logic of making the fees an add on because some won't be paying by Paypal. I just look at them as a cost of doing business and am used to not charging a separate fee for them.

Another reason I would have a price that included fees is so I didn't have to deal with anal buyers who might say the fees are only $4.25 and you charged me $4.50.

ckcs":2w0dn6kr said:
Weird the fees didn't get refunded. I've made a living selling on ebay for the past 10 years and whenever I have done a refund the buyer is made whole. Maybe the fees are not refundable under certain payments. I'm of the belief that your selling price should cover your fees. I'd never sell something $xx.xx plus fees. I'm also of the belief that if you refund a payment because something went wrong on your end, the buyer should be made whole. I personally wouldn't quarrel over 30 cents but it's easy to say it's not a big deal when it is another persons money. If I unintentionally shorted a buyer 30 cents, unless the buyer told me don't worry about it, I'd make them whole. A buyer shouldn't have to pay a penny for a sellers mistake.

I totally understand the logic of making the fees an add on because some won't be paying by Paypal. I just look at them as a cost of doing business and am used to not charging a separate fee for them.

Another reason I would have a price that included fees is so I didn't have to deal with anal buyers who might say the fees are only $4.25 and you charged me $4.50.

The fee structure for PayPal is different outside of eBay....

Apparently there is a way to refund the total amount and cancel out the fees but most people don't know how and just send back the same amount of money.<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:35 pm __________<br /><br />
I personally wouldn't quarrel over 30 cents but it's easy to say it's not a big deal when it is another persons money. If I unintentionally shorted a buyer 30 cents, unless the buyer told me don't worry about it, I'd make them whole. A buyer shouldn't have to pay a penny for a sellers mistake.

But this time it is my money and I have no problem paying the seller's transaction fees because it's such a trivial amount. If I were the seller and had to refund I'd send the whole amount without taking out transaction fee just because it's worth it not to listen to the other person whine.

Back