Pasturing a few rabbits and I have questions!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So my mum LOVES older rabbits rather than fryers but my cage space is so limited that I am going to try to pasture four of last months litter.

So, my questions are.......

How do I transition them onto pasture? They are on hay and alfalfa based pellets right now.

How many times a day will I have to move the tractor if all they are eating is grass?

I have a cage made with two by four inch welded wire that I will give a second layer of chicken wire to walls and top to keep them in while they are small and a resting platform to give them a break from standing on the ground, if they want it, that is.

A roof and waterbottle and hay rack will complete the package.

Oh yeh, when on pasture, will they need hay?

These four are culls from my harlequin project so I don't care how fast they grow or even what weight they make by age 5 months or so. What I really want to find out is the taste and how hard or easy it will be to use this method to get older rabbits for me mum.

They don't need hay.
Start giving them a handful of greens. Everyday, add a little more if no poop problems arise. Keep adding more until they can eat a good size pile of it w/o issues. Then put them out on grass.
You move it at least once a day. If they eat the grass down, move it. Some of mine I move 4-6 times a day, but always everyone moves at least once each day. That's to keep everything clean and limit poop buildup.

ChickiesnBunnies":21vd6ifv said:
They don't need hay.
Start giving them a handful of greens. Everyday, add a little more if no poop problems arise. Keep adding more until they can eat a good size pile of it w/o issues. Then put them out on grass.
You move it at least once a day. If they eat the grass down, move it. Some of mine I move 4-6 times a day, but always everyone moves at least once each day. That's to keep everything clean and limit poop buildup.

Do you notice a difference in the taste of pasture rabbits v. pellets and hay?

ChickiesnBunnies":3ct2x8uk said:
Only thing I noticed is the slow growth.
:/

How much slower?

If my growers take 8 weeks to reach 4 pounds on pellets, how long should it take to reach 6 pounds on grass?

Just a ball park really as I am estimating 5 months for this project. That has them butchered in December with prime pelts on. Hmmmm, I wonder how the grass will be doing by then?

Rabbits on pasture may need additional feed to do well. Certainly, grass alone is not enough... unless you mean a good mix of healthy weeds as well. You can aupplement with a small amount of grain daily and some high-protein forage like mulberries, willow, poplar if you have them down your way. Your rabbits will also need a trace mineral salt block.

My rabbits are fed naturally on alfalfa hay, a small amount of grain and as much in the way of weeds and tree branches and leaves as the season allows. They generally take 14-16 weeks to reach butchering size. Without the alfalfa and grain they would take longer, I am sure, but how much longer is difficult to guess.

Back