Parasite? Disease? Weird Skin Issue

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryana

Reaction score
I have no means to take a picture right now but I will try to describe it as best as I can.

My favorite buck now has three round "holes" along his spine. They are very small and all together like a little bundle. The hair around them is missing. The holes have a hard center and you can feel it underneath the skin, it does not sit on top like a scab. when I lightly pinched them to inspect closer, one oozed some white pus.

This literally sprang up overnight. He holds weight well and his food and water consumption has been fine. Clear eyes, ears and vent and he is acting like himself. He's now in quarantine.

Any ideas?

Edit to describe the hard center better. It doesn't just sit on top like a scab I meant but you can for sure see it raise out of the round "holes". They are almost black looking.

I don't think it's fly strike but I haven't seen many cases of it.

Bot fly? You'd have to squish or cut one open enough to check for bot fly larvae. Either way they need opened, drained, and rinsed with something antibacterial like betadine or chlorhexadine, curved tip syringes are invaluable items for puncture type wounds and always so hard to find off the internet, then possibly coated or sprayed in something to block dirt and bugs.

Latest posts

Back