Palpate / preg-checking does?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairie

Reaction score
I have been raising rabbits for 4 years & have yet to really figure out how to palpate to know if my does are bred šŸ™ˆ. What exactly do you feel when she's bred? What days to palpate for the best check? Help!

This is an interesting topic! I have tried on several does, but never really got the hang of it. I decided that until I had a doe that did not take from a breeding, I would always plan that they were pregnant. I havenā€™t had much need to palpate with my herd so far. šŸ™ƒ

Iā€™ll watch this thread so I can learn, too.

This is an interesting topic! I have tried on several does, but never really got the hang of it. I decided that until I had a doe that did not take from a breeding, I would always plan that they were pregnant. I havenā€™t had much need to palpate with my herd so far. šŸ™ƒ

Iā€™ll watch this thread so I can learn, too.
Ditto! Great topic!

I palpate after day 16, days 14-15 the kits are most fragile and before that you really canā€™t feel anything.

Place your hand in-between the back hips behind the bulge of the stomach and massage, do not be afraid to really feel and squish around. If done right you should feel grape like lumps, it is very hard to tell how many or how big they are, but you can feel the lumps. I was never able to understand what I was feeling for until our 4-H group had a demo on it. They placed a 25-day pregnant doe next to a doe that had never had kits and let us go at it until we understood the difference, doe that may help you as well.

Back