Palpate/nest box question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Ok I bred my doe yesterday. My buck only fell off once that I seen so hope that is enough but I know it doesn't matter how many fall off there are for a doe to be pregnant or not. I was wondering is it 14 days that I can try to palpate her to see if she is pregnant? Also since my doe is inside for the winter and not actually in her cage outside with her attached box. When do I put a nest box in the cage? This in going to be her first litter so I'm a little worried.

Once can be enough; sometimes the buck will ejaculate five times and the doe doesn't take.

Best time to palp is 10-14 days out; you're feeling for blueberry sized lumps that have the feel of consistency of blueberries. After that, babies get bigger and more 'watery'. Put a nest box in at 28 days and keep it in til day 36, if she's not pregnant rebreed on the day you remove the nestbox. As grumpy says, don't expect her to be successful on her first litter since it's her first time too (and if she does well, you'll be pleasantly surprised).

Ok well I really hope she took. How early before their behavior changes?

Ok I will try to palpate her then and she if I can feel anything but I'm not really good at palpating so who knows if I will feel anything. I will put the nest box in on the 28th day then unless she starts trying to build a nest before then.

My rex girl does not change her personality from when she is not preggers to when she is. Misia, my Dutch Palomino doe will always be really grouchy from a week on till the kits are weaned. I have had 2 litters with both of them so far. Plan is to let them rest for a couple months before breeding back again.

Ok since I figured out when to put the nest box in and when to try to palpate her. Now my next question is the only nest box I have is way to big for the cage her cage since it was built for a cali doe. My question is what can I use for a nest box in her cage. I will post pics of her cage so you can see the size of it. I'm trying to get everything figured out before its to late.

Attachments

• 1..jpg
    1..jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 745
  • 2..jpg
    2..jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 745
If you build a nest box that has the resting board on top of it, you won't lose too much floor space in her cage. I assume you let her out for exercise? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about about the loss of space initially, but she and the kids are going to need a bigger cage.

It looks like you could also put a small shelf along the back of the cage and give her some extra space to sprawl. My MR buck loves the space between the top of his cage and the top of his "house", and it's probably only five inches of room (weird rabbit).

Yes I do let her out daily to run around. She usually plays and chases my cat around for about 2-3 hours. I don't have any wood to build her a nest box. She usually is a outside rabbit but she don't like winter time so she got to come inside for the winter. Her outside cage has a box hooked to it. So once they are all big enough and hopping about they all will be going outside unless it isn't warm enough for them yet. Then if not I will just have to get another cage and put them in.

You can get a plastic dish pan or storage box for her- just be sure to use zipties or something to attach it to the wire so it can't be flipped. The Dollar Store usually has a good selection.

She should have about 1"-2" inches clearance front to back and side to side.

Will this work or is it to small? I also have a cardboard box that was a V8 Splash box that held 12 bottles that I could possibly use if the plastic bin is to small. I just have to figure how either one of them will fit in the cage with her. That is going to be my problem next unless I clean up my other cage that is more square. I just don't want to use that cage since there was a sick rabbit in it even though I cleaned it with bleach one day and ammonia another day and its been sitting outside in the snow and freezing nights. I'm just going to have to do some thinking. <br /><br /> -- Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:10 am -- <br /><br /> Sorry forgot to post the pic of the plactic bin I have.

Attachments

• Photo3399.jpg
    Photo3399.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 716
  • Photo3398.jpg
    Photo3398.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 716
The plastic bin measurements are 4 1/2in deep, 7 1/4in wide, 10 3/4in long. Here is a few pics of the box. The box seems to be wider and longer but the depth in shorter.

Attachments

• Photo3400.jpg
    Photo3400.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 705
  • Photo3401.jpg
    Photo3401.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 705
Right now Big Lots has some 3pc plastic kitty litter pans that I was eyeballing. It's fairly deep with a curved edge rim which attaches (pc 2, I think) and I thought would be good for a nest box.

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/cats/peerles ... litter-pan

As far as a shelf, I've seen folks get cutting boards from Dollar Tree, punch holes in it and zip tie the cutting board to the cage wires. They'd put a small pipe or dowel under the front edge to give it support.

-- Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:34 am --

Heck, I live close enough to you I could build a nesting box for you, if you want!!

I think those litter pans would be to big for her cage. I just really need to find a nesting box soon because she is getting so moody and scratching and pulling at everything including her cage. So I believe she took and sometime in feb there will be some kits.

That is so nice of you to offer to make a nest box for me. But right now I have no money to buy a nest box or no transportation. I will find something to use. I'm sure of it.

Can you tell me what is a good size for a mini? And what are some of the thing I could use as a nest box beside building one with wood?

The sizes I've run across for MR is this: 8"Hx14"Lx9"W with a 4" high front piece. If there is a resting pad on top of the box, it'll cover the back 6" of the 14" length. So I would imagine that if you can find something in that size, you'll be fine. I've seen online where people use rectangular flower boxes. I've seen nest boxes made solely out of wire and have a cardboard interior.

I have a bigger square box but I'm afraid that she is going to just shred it up for nesting material instead of using it for her nest box. I found this other plastic tote. I will she how she fits in that one and I guess go from there. <br /><br /> -- Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:37 pm -- <br /><br /> I found this plastic tote in the closet. Is this big enough?

Attachments

• Photo3407.jpg
    Photo3407.jpg
    896.4 KB · Views: 572
  • Photo3405.jpg
    Photo3405.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 572
  • Photo3404.jpg
    Photo3404.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 572
Yes but you must tie it to the wall as it is too light weight and the doe might tip it getting in and out.

-- Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:50 pm --

I just saw your cage - it is going to be very cramped with a 12 x 8 nest box in there :(

There is a possibility your rabbit will use the nest box as a litter box and if I remember correctly this will be her first litter so I would worry about her visiting the nest too often and damaging the kits.

I recommend you only put the box in on day 27, or for a few hours each day if she wants to start building a nest, and once the kits are born remove them and only put them in twice a day for feeding.

I second Dood's idea, she won't abandon them if you take them out, and it might actually be a lot less stressful for her, since being that close to their newborns is unnatural, and often very uncomfortable for them.

I like to make sure they start nursing before I pull the kits, but that usually just takes a couple hours to day. Whenever the tunnies are full.
Don't be alarmed if she only chooses to feed once a day. Some does are just like that and it's FINE.
I've raised plenty of kits that were only nursed once a day.

Latest posts

Back