Outdoor rabbit colony housing idea

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonjaze

Reaction score
This is way off in the future, as I'm not even living in the right state now. But I had an idea that I thought I would ask about.

I want to try an outdoor colony, in zone 8 in the Pacific NW, so I won't be looking at any severe weather extremes.
My idea is to pour a concrete slab, and then erect a framework out of EMT or steel pole. Cover that with small square fencing for the majority of it, with hardware cloth on the bottom third or so. Have half the top tarped for a roof, and have just the north side a solid wall. Place straw bales in the run for shelter, digging, climbing, jumping, and other rabbity fun. I could also hang shelves and boxes from the walls for increased space.

Do you think this will provide enough shelter? I guess it's not very different than an outdoor hutch, just bigger.

This would be just a meat mutt colony, to feed myself and probably my dogs.

What say the rabbit gurus?

If you could, I would go ahead and put some kind of solid roof over it. Corrugated tin or whatnot, perhaps? It's stressful to be worrying about tarps in the wind and the rain--and I assume you will likely have plenty of the latter--and in a very rainy place you will definitely appreciate the roof!

I think otherwise, that sounds very nice!

Yes, a solid roof of some sort would probably be better. But should I roof the entire thing, or leave some open?

There's no real point in leaving any open. It only makes it easier for flying predators to see things they might consider tasty. It will keep the bedding from getting wet and gross on the slab. I would roof the whole thing.

great, I'll keep that in mind. Of course, I'll probably come up with about 150 different ideas between now and when I actually get to have rabbits.

thanks for your feedback, it helps!

I like the idea of the roof, also. You can tarp down from the roof during nasty weather, roll it up or open like a curtain during good weather. Many colonies don't have a roof tho. To do that you need to give them houses that are waterproof. Since you're planning a slab floor, make sure it slopes to one side gradually...like you would do a patio slab...so water runs off and out instead of puddling inside.

Keep thinking and planning :) We love to hear new plans!

Most outdoor colonies have no roof at all as long as there are barrels or something for the rabbits to get out of the rain if they wish. A full roof might make it a bit more comfortable, but it will raise your cost substantially, not only for the roofing, but for a frame of necessary strength to hold up against snow and wind. The rain helps wash down the feces and urine that can build up in a colony. Straw bales work great in an indoor colony, but they would probably need to be under shelter in and outdoor one.

The sloped floor is an excellent idea.

avdpas77":1zvkqayj said:
Straw bales work great in an indoor colony, but they would probably need to be under shelter in and outdoor one.

I'm thinking essentially it will wind up being an open sided indoor colony, like a pole barn. There are lots of benefits to that if you can afford it. Not having to build hutches for the feed, etc, being one, and allowing you to use the straw bedding for another. I think for a natural dirt floor colony, you might not want a roof, but if you're pouring a slab and building one wall anyway...why not? Also makes it more pleasant for you to do chores in bad weather!

PulpFaction said:
I'm thinking essentially it will wind up being an open sided indoor colony, like a pole barn.

pretty much this is what I'm thinking, although a really narrow and long one.

all good things for me to consider, thanks!

PulpFaction":2ea6mcl6 said:
avdpas77":2ea6mcl6 said:
Straw bales work great in an indoor colony, but they would probably need to be under shelter in and outdoor one.

I'm thinking essentially it will wind up being an open sided indoor colony, like a pole barn. There are lots of benefits to that if you can afford it. Not having to build hutches for the feed, etc, being one, and allowing you to use the straw bedding for another. I think for a natural dirt floor colony, you might not want a roof, but if you're pouring a slab and building one wall anyway...why not? Also makes it more pleasant for you to do chores in bad weather!

If the money is available, this would probably be the best of both worlds.

avdpas77":2lzq60wd said:
PulpFaction":2lzq60wd said:
avdpas77":2lzq60wd said:

If the money is available, this would probably be the best of both worlds.

Hehe, since it's just hypothetical at this point, I could spend a million dollars on it. But when it comes time, I'm sure I'll have a budget. Of course, I am the queen of scavenging and recycling and very handy, so that helps, too.

Bunnies don't care if the roof matches the wall, do they? :lol:

dragonjaze":uu6g6nkc said:
PulpFaction":uu6g6nkc said:
I'm thinking essentially it will wind up being an open sided indoor colony, like a pole barn.

pretty much this is what I'm thinking, although a really narrow and long one.

all good things for me to consider, thanks!

How about something like this:

colonybuilding-1.jpg

This is my OLD rabbitry building. I had cage rows hung in there and cage racks all along one length of it.

It's about 10 feet wide and 30 feet long and my plans are to transform it into a colony setup this spring!!

Hi there,
I'm new to this site as well as soon to be new to meat rabbits and colonies come spring. I wanted to share my plans for an outdoor colony with you though. (There are 2 different plan ideas) Let me know what you think of it. Also do you feed your dogs just rabbit or other raw meats too or dog food and rabbit. We have a large dog and where thinking of feeding him rabbit with us.

Hope this helps!

Also if you think my plan could use any modifications to it please let me know! I hope to have it done here in a couple months I have section 1 almost 100% done now. I'll will get pics of the finished products and post them.

:D

Attachments

• Rabbit Colony Plan 2.jpg
    Rabbit Colony Plan 2.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 820
  • Rabbit Colony Plan.png
    Rabbit Colony Plan.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 820
You need shelter but it doesn't have to be hard. My favorite hutch is explained and there are photos on the website.. however this is the gist of it.. Im no carpander.. so.. I make things easy and to last so I don't have to do it again.

You need 2 3/4 sheets of treated ply wood. whole.. don't cut them.
One sheet you will cut long ways
won sheet you will cut into quarters.

Use the whole sheets as a top and bottom, use the long cut sides as .. well.. sides. Then use the quarter cut sides as the front and back. Most lumber stores will make these simple cuts for you. You don't even have to own a saw. Then screw it all together and leave one quarter as the end door, this can be shut in the winter and opened and latched back in the summer/ this hutch will hold 250lbs of hay and over 50lbs of feed. No more going out in a rain storm or blizzard to feed rabbits. I stripe mine clean in the summer and load it with hay in the winter.
It can be seen in the video at www.pet-rabbit.netfirms.com/housing.htm

This hutch is also so warm that water rarely freezes past a film of ice.

Latest posts

Back