Outdoor Hutch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovehome

Reaction score
I am building an outdoor hutch for two giant chins. This biggest concern is predators (bear, bobcats, raccoons, coyotes), so a cage simply hung in a pole shed will not work. It will be out of wood, with rabbit floor wire and trays and hardware cloth for the doors. I hate the thought of them urinating all over the inside corners and good ventilation is critical in my humid, hot area. I thought about putting hard ware cloth the bottom 4 inches of the of the sides and back wall. I've never seen one like this, but it should accomplish both of the goals. Any reason why this would not work?

I think it will work, but will you be closing it up somehow for winter? What is an arkansas winter like? You want them to be able to get out of the wind and not get wet.

I have a damp climate too, but cooler. I wanted to avoid the same things, so I used sheet metal for the walls of my hutches, which are in full shade. I like it so far. I used the corrugated stuff on the first one, but then my husband the metalworker took pity on me and got me some flat pieces of scrap from his work. Much nicer to work with.

Maybe just lots of hay in the winter. We have a moderate winter, with it getting below freezing regularly, but it does not stay that way for very long. The roof will have a good sized overhang, too, I think. Hmmm, non wood wall choices--need to think about those some more...

Latest posts

Back