Otter Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feraltydreaming

Reaction score
Good morning, everyone.

I came across a few pictures this morning that have thrown me, so I am curious if anyone can provide an explanation.

How can a rabbit be both broken and an otter phenotypically-speaking? These pictures were of what the breeder referred to as a Broken Blue Otter and a Blue Otter, respectively. However, both of these rabbits were from the same sire and dam (different litters).

I mean, genetically, I can see how this might work but in terms of physical appearance, it has me baffled.

Respectfully,
RW

Where are the Pictures?
Yes you can have a Broken Otter.
I have a Broken Black Otter in my herd.
You would have to breed Otter to a Broken Rabbit.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Even with the brokens, you should still be able to see the triangle on the back of the neck, light inside ears, and the light around the nose and eyes. I have a broken opal, and the reason why I knew she was agouti and not a broken blue, was the lighter inner ear and the patch of ring colored hair behind her neck.

You can have broken in any color really. Just depends on wether that color is accepted for show. Otter means underneath is pale cream. With a light tan triangle, nose holes, fawn eye circles and inside of ears. These markings in combination with one of the four self colors. Broken is simply lacking color in favor of white in certain areas. Otter markings are still there.

Opal is a dilute of castor. I've heard some controversy, some say the ring color should be more like fawn, because it is a dilute, and others say the ring color should be more like castor.

The Otter gene is a modifier that's attached to the agouti series "A". It, however is recessive to agouti but dominant to self aa. So the otter pattern will only show up when its attached to two small a genes or self genes. Agouti will hide it. The difference between the blue otter shown in the pic and an agouti or opal is that the blue areas of his body are self (no rings) plus you will see the addition of a tan triangle at the back of its neck. They are two distinct (but related lol) patterns. :)

Latest posts

Back