Orphan wild bunny PLEASE HELP

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashyderk

Reaction score
My aunts dog got into a bunny’s nest Thursday morning and killed the mom. There was one baby still living and uninjured. She didn’t have time to take care of it, so I read up on how to take care of wild rabbits. I Put the kit in a clean tote with lots of blankets and put it in a small room with the temp at 85 so it stays warm. It’s eyes aren’t open yet and ears are still back, not much fur. Maybe 5 days old at this point. I’ve been feeding it with a 1ml dropper. I’ve read a lot of debates on what to use for formula, but I’ve been using a mix of KMR, whole goat milk, unsweetened heavy whipping cream, and a bit of pedialyte and acidophilus warmed up to 105 in warm water. The kit hasn’t gained any weight, but is still very active, crawling around, wiggly. It seems very uninterested in being fed and it takes me about 30 mins to get it to take 1-2ml. Today I’ve been trying to spread the feedings out more with less food but today it’s just so uninterested and doesn’t even really want to open its mouth. When I do get the syringe in it doesn’t want to suck. I’m open to any suggestions on changing the formula or anything I can do to help save the bunny. It’s become comfortable with me handling it and was even licking my hands and didn’t want to go back in the tote. I’ve also been trying to help it go potty but I haven’t had success and I don’t see any urine or stool in the tote but I could be missing it with all the blankets. It doesn’t look bloated, it’s very skinny. I don’t want to see it pass so please someone help me :(

if it licks your hands then dip your hands in milk and let him lick them off. :)

That's the best advice I can offer you. Wee little babies are notoriously difficult to raise.

Does it look too small? I think it’s 5 or 6 days old.

Attachments

• 96AB83BB-5797-4F4A-B95C-2DA45E24894C.jpeg
    96AB83BB-5797-4F4A-B95C-2DA45E24894C.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 764
  • B2368372-7F63-41C5-B4AD-764C1AE78F5A.jpeg
    B2368372-7F63-41C5-B4AD-764C1AE78F5A.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 764
You might try this thread and read the entire thing. She has a very good guide on how she hand raised some domestic kits.
hand-feeding-newborn-kits-t31485.htmlp

It's hard to hand raise domestic kits and wild kits are even worse. <br /><br /> -- Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:17 am -- <br /><br /> Here's her actual write up on how she raised them. It might be an easier read than the forum thread. I had to go find the link.

https://europeanrabbits.wixsite.com/rai ... rU4JYkjmcU

I would advice to take it to your local animal rescue, they know what to do. I've raised a 2 week old jackrabbit and even though it knew how to eat, it was a pain....

Back