Options for ear mites

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend I noticed that my big buck Ziggy has a crusty ear. Ear mites for sure and so it needs to be fixed. I have a couple of options I'm just not sure what might be easiest/best to do. He's a keeper so I really don't have a worry with withdraw or such.

I have on hand:
Advantage for cats (on package it says it's for rabbits too) - anyone use this? I know it's effective on our cat :)

Ivermectin 1% - i use this to worm our dogs (op) at .3 cc monthly for heartworm (dogs over 55 pounds) and .1cc per pound every 6 months for internal parasites. I've looked around for a rabbit dosage but I'm amazed at the wide variety of dosing recommendations. What sounds right to me is the .02cc per pound dose - so he's about 9 pounds that should be .2 cc (right - I'm guessing orally is ok too)

bag balm and vaseline - should be greasy fun.

and DE - but I don't think that's really an ear mite sorta thing.

out of all that - what might you go and use or are they all about the same. Thanks!

Wheels is a nickname I got when I was younger - I tend to 'roll with it' regardless of what's going on. ;) I like to think it makes me sound dangerous and fast -

and that's a mutt doe I got in Texas - I think she was about 7 weeks there. Peeking out of a brooder box/cage that I converted.

I use mineral oil every other day while they have mites and I treat rabbits once a week with mineral oil in the ears works great as a prevention

I just soak a cottenball and rub it around

Listerine mouthwash will rid you of earmites .... Used it for a decade on my cats , show persians.

May take multiple applications

Corrosion":3qbemz99 said:
Listerine mouthwash will rid you of earmites .... Used it for a decade on my cats , show persians.

It is probably the alcohol that kills the mites. I imagine that if they had a severe infestation with its attendant damage to the tissues that the cat or rabbit would go through the roof? :?

I gave him the Advantage (imidacloprid) last night - for ease, already measured and in a handy tube. and coated his ear in vaseline. since that's what I had; I found this document online about it's use http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10576986/Ea ... In-Rabbits

It's too expensive to be using all the time - but I was curious. So I guess we'll see.

Just wanted to update- It's only been a few days but his ear looks great! Still a touch of crust way down in the ear but overall much better. The advantage seems to be working very well, don't know if his progress is any faster than using a homeremedy or ivermectin but I thought I'd let you all know.

I had asked my feed store if they would carry 'Nu-Stock' and after this thread, checked, they had it in, so I now have a tube of Nu-Stock and hope I do not have to use it!

When my buck got ear mites I used cooking oil. Just rubbed it in the inside of his ear with a cue tip every other day for 21 days and all the mites were gone.

hoodat":1e6xs0uy said:
Campho Phenique. It kills mites and relieves the itching at the same time. Non toxic.

You don't need oil? Your way sounds great because the oil is such a mess. Years ago I had a rabbit with ear mites. The vet sent me to the drug store and the pharmacist mixed it. It was something like this product. Is this any good? Capho Phenique better?

VTR1.jpg

Campho-Phenique is an oil, actually.

Active Ingredient
Camphorated phenol (camphor 10.8% and phenol 4.7%). Pain reliever/antiseptic

Inactive ingredients
eucalyptus oil, light mineral oil

So is the VetRx:
Active Ingredient(s)
Made with 3.3% (v-v) alcohol U.S.P. The mixture contains Canada balsam, camphor, oil origanum, oil rosemary, blended in a corn oil base.

So it's just a matter of which oil you use... medicated or not. :)

VetRx in the 1950's was known as " Save the Baby"
It may help a little but actually does the same thing as any oil would do.
It drowns the Mites.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Miss M":3atsvc73 said:
Campho-Phenique is an oil, actually.

Active Ingredient
Camphorated phenol (camphor 10.8% and phenol 4.7%). Pain reliever/antiseptic

Inactive ingredients
eucalyptus oil, light mineral oil

So is the VetRx:
Active Ingredient(s)
Made with 3.3% (v-v) alcohol U.S.P. The mixture contains Canada balsam, camphor, oil origanum, oil rosemary, blended in a corn oil base.

So it's just a matter of which oil you use... medicated or not. :)

Off to Walmart then! Thank you!<br /><br />__________ Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:11 pm __________<br /><br />
hoodat":3atsvc73 said:
Campho Phenique. It kills mites and relieves the itching at the same time. Non toxic.

How many days do you have to use it?

garden lady":cthsm6gi said:
How many days do you have to use it?
I've seen several different regimens for it. Generally, every day or every other day for several times, then something like once a week for a few more weeks, just to make sure you catch all the hatching eggs.

You might also treat the rest of your herd, or at least the surrounding rabbits, with non-medicated oil a few times, just to make sure nobunny picks them up. :)

Back