Opinions required

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginge

Reaction score
Hi,

few questions…. I have mated my rabbits 12 days ago, I have finished work this morning to be greeted by my doe with a big stash of hay in her mouth. It is the first time she has been mated. On mating the buck had 3 fall offs in the morning and 1 9 hours later. I removed my doe as she looked like she had had enough at this point.
I have noticed she has started urinating in the corners of her run the last 2 days which she doesn’t normally do in such big quantities.
She has literally spent the last few hours making a grass nest lol

few questions…..

1. I know it may be a false pregnancy with being so early, I dont want to risk mating her again just incase she has a double pregnancy, I would rather wait and see what happens, just wondering if any one has had a similar experience and it had been successful.

2. Do I leave the nest be or should I put a box In Now as she is using what was her indoor litter tray, do I rearrange her living quarters to accommodate her nest box or wait till day 27?

Obviously I know in a few days I’m going to have to clean it all out but she’s gone to some much effort I feel bad for interfering. (Hoping she will get it out her system and then settle down

3.Also when a doe has her kits, can you still let her out for exercise as long as the kits can’t get out their box? I have tried researching but can’t find anything online regarding this.

I’m being optimistic and hoping for the
Best, but time will tell! Wish me luck ck 😆

thanks in advance

Attachments

• E4B80DE5-149F-4F51-8E01-D551B65A3220.jpeg
    E4B80DE5-149F-4F51-8E01-D551B65A3220.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 4
  • B1E023C2-1EF7-4312-A363-73A0332F8FEC.jpeg
    B1E023C2-1EF7-4312-A363-73A0332F8FEC.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 4
  • C804D7AB-BD82-4F13-AF13-1CD0C932073F.jpeg
    C804D7AB-BD82-4F13-AF13-1CD0C932073F.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4
1. It could be a false pregnancy, or she could just be preparing early. I have had a couple does build a nest very early and then be pregnant and have babies at the right time and I have had a couple who did that and it turned out they weren't pregnant, so just let her do what she's doing and be prepared for babies at day 31.

2. I normally give them a box at day 28, or earlier if they start nesting.

3. The doe won't stay in the box with her kits. They normally only go in there to feed them in the early morning and late evening.

Thanks for your reply, yeah I have let her do her thing but she only did it for a day and I took it all out as it was In Her litter box, she has stopped going to the toilet in that area so I have relocated her litter box and plan on putting the nesting box in there, as it’s in a dark space as well as her original nest.

so hope it’s not a false one but if it is I’m going to try again.

Funny enough I finished work this morning (day 26) and she’s at it again in the same place as before so I put her nest box in with some newspaper straw and hay and she frantically took it all out and used the contents to further build the nest I came back to. She obviously has chose that as her space, would you move the contents and put it in the nest box in that space or not bother with the box? X

This is what I would do. Try putting the nest she built inside the nest box and put her inside so she can see how wonderful the box is. If she accepts it, great! If she takes it out again, I would let her build her nest where she wants, but keep watch to make sure when/if she has babies they are all born in the nest she made. I have had no problems relocating a nest once the babies are born. So once they are born and she has cleaned them and you can tell she is feeding them (round, full bellies), I would put the nest and babies in the box to keep them contained and from wandering and getting cold. Show her where her babies are. Rabbits do not pick up and move their young like other species. In the wild, does dig nest tunnels to build nests in and kindle their kits. They cover the entrance with dirt and rocks and uncover to feed 1-2 times a day. That keeps their kits from wandering and getting lost/cold.
Good luck! Hope you have babies in a few days!

This is what I would do. Try putting the nest she built inside the nest box and put her inside so she can see how wonderful the box is. If she accepts it, great! If she takes it out again, I would let her build her nest where she wants, but keep watch to make sure when/if she has babies they are all born in the nest she made. I have had no problems relocating a nest once the babies are born. So once they are born and she has cleaned them and you can tell she is feeding them (round, full bellies), I would put the nest and babies in the box to keep them contained and from wandering and getting cold. Show her where her babies are. Rabbits do not pick up and move their young like other species. In the wild, does dig nest tunnels to build nests in and kindle their kits. They cover the entrance with dirt and rocks and uncover to feed 1-2 times a day. That keeps their kits from wandering and getting lost/cold.
Good luck! Hope you have babies in a few days!
I moved the nest yesterday into the box after a good clean out. she seems to have left it where it is for now so fingers crossed it’s a good sign and she has accepted it. She seems to have had good motherly instincts so far so hope that’s a good sign for her being a mother. Thanks so much for all you feedback ❤️

Latest posts

Back