Opal or Blue Otter? Red or Orange? Castor?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Rex doe and I am trying to figure out her genetics. She had one litter with my Castor buck and had 4 castors or so I think and 2 red/orange ones. I say I think castor because some are darker than the others. I am new to genetics and trying to understand. The mother's parents were Lynx and Black Otter. Her siblings were castor, black otter, and one other opal like her. Is she an agouti or is she a Blue Otter? And could someone tell me what the orangish daughter would be? I also want to get opinions if you would call the babies dad castor. Ahhh so many questions and I am very confused. I'm also sorry for the bad pictures.

Attachments

• baby Opal.JPG
    baby Opal.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Adult Opal.jpg
    Adult Opal.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Side opal.JPG
    Side opal.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Baby orange.JPG
    Baby orange.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 3 of the kits.JPG
    3 of the kits.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Castor Dad.JPG
    Castor Dad.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 13
I have a Rex doe and I am trying to figure out her genetics. She had one litter with my Castor buck and had 4 castors or so I think and 2 red/orange ones. I say I think castor because some are darker than the others. I am new to genetics and trying to understand. The mother's parents were Lynx and Black Otter. Her siblings were castor, black otter, and one other opal like her. Is she an agouti or is she a Blue Otter? And could someone tell me what the orangish daughter would be? I also want to get opinions if you would call the babies dad castor. Ahhh so many questions and I am very confused. I'm also sorry for the bad pictures.
I forgot to add the father's line is all castor and broken castor.

looks like opal, castor, fawn, though, if the fawn has rings in her coat (given the lynx heritage) it could be an amber instead. Castor can range in colour... but sometimes lighter castors are amber (depending on what's behind the colours).

looks like opal, castor, fawn, though, if the fawn has rings in her coat (given the lynx heritage) it could be an amber instead. Castor can range in colour... but sometimes lighter castors are amber (depending on what's behind the colours).
So what do you mean by rings? Like the hair follicles when you blow on them, or different color ring in her fur no blowing.

blow in her coat and if you see rings in her coat (like different colours) then she's an agouti ... and therefore she's amber.

Latest posts

Back