OMG I think it worked!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
We have been having the run of bad luck that often hits when starting over with all new rabbits. Of the first batch of buns bred only one doe kindled and of her 4, due to a dog attack, only one remains. Its just under 4 weeks old and still not too sure its going to make it. Its a happy little thing but spends quite a bit of its time on its back due to healing legs.

So imagine how upset we were when the bred doe we were given had 4 beautiful kits and no milk or mothering skills.

AAAARRRRGH!

So, as a last ditch attempt to save them I remade the nest and popped it in yesterday evening with Flower and her one remaining kit. Was really hoping she would look at them and say to herself, "Gosh, I dont remember having THESE but they MUST be mine, they are right here!"

Kits are alive and kicking and fed this evening!

I wont breath easy yet as Flower had barely enough milk for her first four kits but so far, so good! What a good girl she is! :cheer2:

Well rats! All dead this morning, despite looking so good last night. :(

Never mind, will breed her again and hope she does a better job next time. My moral could have done with a bunny boost though.

She will meet the buck today and fingers crossed, do a better job next time. We have one due a nest box today and two next week so hopefully the jinx will lift.

But that's rabbits for you, break your heart or mend it, they will.

Funny enough, heat sterility is not an issue I have ever had. If you breed year round down here and only keep breeders from proven summer bucks, it works just fine.

Well, so far anyway. :lol:

alforddm":666ksfbj said:
Well, I'm finally going to be using my first homegrown bucks so we'll see how they do. Sorry I kinda hijacked your thread.

Oh no, never be sorry for hijacking one of my threads, I LOVE where rabbit rambling can lead me! :D Right down the rabbit hole usually! :lol:

Back