Old buck has lost weight

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but.. Mutah, the buck who is roughly 6 now, the rabbit who survived his back legs being temporarily paralyzed.. Has now became an old man, he's always been a bit hunched up in the back since his injury but otherwise is completely fine.

Today I took him out of his cage to clip his nails and pluck some of the shedding fur he has a hard time getting, I noticed he was very light and I could easily feel his spine. I haven't had any reason to take him out other than clipping his nails and I hadn't really noticed he was so skinny prior. He eats like normal, no drooling, sneezing, coughing, no runny eyes. Looks like normal healthy boy. Now I will say I really struggle getting him to eat the same grass hay.. I would think it was the hay but I've tried brohme as well and he's just not that interested. The other rabbits will most times eat hay before pellets. He barely nibbles his, sometimes I don't think he eats it at all.

I looked at his teeth today while I had him out and they look normal, they're not extra long, so he's obviously eating at least a little hay..

Does it sound like something is wrong? I don't want to take him to the vet cause I don't know of any that take rabbits nearby and I don't want to stress him out unnecessarily. Or does it sound like he's just getting old? I don't know what to do to get some weight back on him. Should I offer molasses? Honey? I'm willing to do anything at this point.

Latest posts

Back