Okay to eat a rabbit with a jaw abscess?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have a doe that has been on my cull list for months. An injury saw me with no use of my right arm so she has had a pass. But I'm healed up to a mostly useable state and this doe has Another jaw abscess. Same spot as her last 2 months ago. I had cleaned and drained as best I could one handed, apparently not well enough.

Tried to do a quick lance on it yesterday and it didnt go well. I popped the abscess internally and it has spread under the chin now.

Do I track down another set of hands to help clean it out? Or just process her? Any issue with eating the meat of a rabbit with an abscess?

I am not a vet, but I thought abscess's were a sign of compromised immune system due to infections. I am not sure how this impacts the meat, but deffinatly interested in other's comments.

An abscess is an accumulation of pus which is the body's defense against infections. The rabbit may have a cavity or cracked tooth that keeps getting infected. I wouldn't think that would affect the meat. It can be difficult to drain an abscess on a rabbit because the pus is thick like peanut butter.

generally I don't personally eat sick animals, I just cull and burry. I might save the fur, but otherwise I don't consume them. This is not at all backed by any scientific reasoning just personal opinion. For example I had a rooster die of a bad foot infection, we did not eat him eventhough it would have been an easy thing to remove and discard the foot alone.

Latest posts

Back