Okay, here's the plan!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
So, I think this is what I want to do, let me know if any of this won't work.

I'd like to keep the colony in a horse stall with pine shaving and straw bedding. I want to use chicken waterers for water (I use them in my bigger cages and they work great) and BIG crocks for my own feed mix. Supplement with plenty of hay! Keep the buck in traditional housing and bring him in a few weeks after each litter.

Questions - How many should I keep in a colony? If it's less than five, I would probably seperate them by breed in more than one stall and keep more than one breed.

Any ideas to use for nests for mamas? I was thinking those plastic barrels, but one for each doe will probably get too cluttered in a stall.

How large is the horse stall? Can you add shelves to add vertical space? Nest tunnels do not decrease floor space because the rabbits use them as a patio. I'm working on a diagram of the tunnels... They do not photograph well.

Since you are planning for the future, as I understand it, you can let your plan evolve little by little. Read everything you can about colonies. I believe there is a Yahoo group for colony raising of rabbits, but I do not have a link for it. Someone else here can probably supply it.

Latest posts

Back