Officially desperate

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitdog

Reaction score
I usually try keep 3 does and one buck for breeding meat mutts. My bucks are a broken red NZ and a black NZ. Does were Blue American, NZW and a Champagne. This fall, my blue died unexpectedly (cause unknown). My NZW was getting up in age and failed to raise any kits on her last two breedings (after several years of very good production), so she was recently removed. My Champagne has always been an excellent and reliable producer. However for almost 3 months now, she refuses to breed with either buck. She's less than 2 years old and I'm about ready to cull her. However, I keep trying and I hate to cull a previously good doe without something better in backup. I've got one Cali/NZ in the replacement pipeline but need more producers.
So, two requests:
First, tell me something to get this stupid Champagne back into production (I know about vinegar in the water and a car ride, but haven't tried either .... just doesn't seem logical). Second, if anyone has any good meat stock for sale in Virginia, please let me know.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

don't be quick to cull yet. Some does are just a no go at different points in the year (the colder weather could be playing with her).

wait until it warms up then try the vinegar and see what she dose...

Breeding issues can be due to a number of causes: internal fat, dietary deficiencies, short days etc. etc.

I'd like to hear what you are feeding your rabbits. I may be able to offer suggestions based on that.

I don't know why you are so quick to dismiss vinegar in the water and car rides. ACV contains many trace nutrients and sometimes is enough to stimulate acceptance of the buck. Car rides basically "shake up" the doe, break up her routine and, I think, her stick-in-the-mud attitude. There are lots of ways to stimulate a doe to accept the buck and all of them work some of the time. None work all of the time. Be flexible.

I've heard that giving them fresh ginger root helps stimulate them to breed.

Another simple idea is to try for breeding in a neutral cage- neither the doe's or the buck's.

I just bred both my NZ does at the first of December. I had been extending the lighted hours, and it seems to have helped.

I am in Virginia, but won't have any kits ready until spring.

Going into the fall, my does were a little "cold-shouldered" head-ache's or
somthin'.

They're on 17 hours of light now and I've got scads of little ones all over the
place. They were on 15...

What is it with Champagnes and being difficult? I am about to sell all of my doe line of Champagnes because they won't breed all year like my Americans will. Not helpful, but just to let you know that you aren't alone.

It's hard to breed your way out of a situation if they won't breed at all.

Do bucks need as much light as the does? I have my does under lights but not the boys and they aren't performing very well. Could that make a difference?

sunrise":2zwqvr0w said:
Do bucks need as much light as the does? I have my does under lights but not the boys and they aren't performing very well. Could that make a difference?

Unfortunately, Yes. It's all hormonal with the number of lighted hours
hitting the pituitary gland. One can pretty much shut a herd down with
limited hours of lighting.

Thanks Grumpy, that's a relief actually. I was beginning to worry about the bucks, now I know to lengthen the light time on them too, :)

We use parsley daily for 10 days prior to breeding for new does, and it seems to work well. Once they're in production we haven't had a problem, because we do a 25 day breed back.

Something else I read a while ago is that you could give a special feed for several days prior to breeding, something like Calf Manna if you're not adverse to the whole GMO possibilities. This gives them a sense that food is in abundance and it would be a good time to have some babies.

Also, I think a car ride might do the trick for some, though we've never needed to. But what we have seen on several occasions is that if we have a rabbit exhibiting a behavior we don't like, we move it to a new cage. It unsettles them just enough to break patterns, because they haven't claimed "ownership" of the new space yet. This is how we got Shaggy to come forward to be pet, instead of laying down in the back (hard to reach) corn demanding his rub downs!

Well, I guess patience can indeed be rewarded. As you can see, this thread goes back to December. My Champagne doe had refused to breed for several months prior. I've been threatening to cull her for a good long while but apparently, she knew I wouldn't do it. Anyway, this evening she finally accepted the buck quite readily. I think I'll do a better job of keeping her in production this time. Will post results in about 30 days ... I hope :!:

Latest posts

Back