OAF's Rabbit Carport - Questions! :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnichols

Reaction score
I've been admiring your rabbit carport for a while now and my husband has agreed to build me one similar! :)

I've studied the pictures on your website and have gleaned a lot of useful information already, but I still have quite a few questions. Thank you for allowing me to pick your brain!

• Q1 - Are these cage rows or individual cages?

Q2 - If cage rows, how many holes per cage row?

Q3 - Cage sizes? (I believe I saw you post somewhere that they are 30x36x18 but not sure)

Q4 - What kind of cable/fastening system did you use to hang them?

Q5 - How many "cage rows" for each row? (i.e. do you have 4 rows of "12 hole" cage rows)

I noticed what looks like "rods" running at the ends of the cages. I'm assuming these are used to stabilize the cage when it's hung and that they are placed at each "hanging point"

• Q1 - What are they made from?

Q2 - Are they attached to the cages?

Q3 - How far apart are they spaced?

And I believe I saw you post somewhere that you have a 48 hole rabbitry. How many are in the carport area? Just from looking at one of the pictures it looks like 12 holes per row, correct?

I also recall that you're installing an automatic watering system. Where are you going to locate that in the rabbitry? On top of the cages?

I know you're a lot further south than I am and freezing can be a slight issue here, so I may have to build an insulated "room" to hold my water containers for winter time.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, but I am sure I can come up with a few more questions! Just in case these aren't enough. ;)

And again, thank you very much for letting me ask them!

I've been admiring your rabbit carport for a while now and my husband has agreed to build me one similar! :)

I've studied the pictures on your website and have gleaned a lot of useful information already, but I still have quite a few questions. Thank you for allowing me to pick your brain!

• Q1 - Are these cage rows or individual cages?

• They are banks of cages.

Q2 - If cage rows, how many holes per cage row?

Mostly 3 hole banks, two that are 4 hole and two that are 6 hole.

Q3 - Cage sizes? (I believe I saw you post somewhere that they are 30x36x18 but not sure)

18x30x18 and 30x30x18 and 36x30x18

Q4 - What kind of cable/fastening system did you use to hang them?

Plastic coated, galvanized cable and aluminum ferrules.

Q5 - How many "cage rows" for each row? (i.e. do you have 4 rows of "12 hole" cage rows)

Three banks of 3 hole cages on the first row, the second and third rows are one bank of 3 hole, one bank of 4 hole and one bank of 6 hole on each row. The fourth row is four banks of 3 hole cages.

I noticed what looks like "rods" running at the ends of the cages. I'm assuming these are used to stabilize the cage when it's hung and that they are placed at each "hanging point"

• Q1 - What are they made from?

Yes, they are galvanized electrical conduit. It works well to distribute the load.

Q2 - Are they attached to the cages?

We slid them into the wire, just under the top.

Q3 - How far apart are they spaced?

We put them where the cables had to hang, based on the supports in the carport.

And I believe I saw you post somewhere that you have a 48 hole rabbitry. How many are in the carport area? Just from looking at one of the pictures it looks like 12 holes per row, correct?

We have 47 in the barn, 5 in the shed and 8 in the quarantine area.

I also recall that you're installing an automatic watering system. Where are you going to locate that in the rabbitry? On top of the cages?

Yes, on top of the cages, at one end of the cage rows.

I know you're a lot further south than I am and freezing can be a slight issue here, so I may have to build an insulated "room" to hold my water containers for winter time.

Grumpy's post has a recirculating water system that may work well for you if your weather gets colder than here.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, but I am sure I can come up with a few more questions! Just in case these aren't enough. ;)

And again, thank you very much for letting me ask them!

No problem!

Pardon my jumping on this question, but I have a few questions for OAF too :D

We were trying to buy the house that we are renting, and with the new laws and being self-employed ... anyway, we are now looking at doing a carport structure to house our rabbitry instead of building a new shed for it. We have to do something that can be considered temporary. We would have to fully enclose it in order to insulate it. We have most of that figured out now.

What size is your carport? We are looking at a 12'x24', but I am not sure that is big enough. We are also looking at having an enclosed area in the back for our processing and our quarantine. Do you think that would work? Right now we have 4 does, 2 bucks, 2 jr does, 10 6 1/2 week old kits, and 19 2 1/2 week old kits. We are already almost maxed out on cages. My cages are 2'x8' and they are free-standing. Right now, my rabbitry is housed in a 10'x15' dog kennel.

Thanks for the answers OAF!

I need to study them for a bit and absorb the info. I know I've got a couple more but I want to make sure I don't come up with more! LOL :)<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 am __________<br /><br />

OneAcreFarm":24gx3n3k said:
TerriG":24gx3n3k said:
Pardon my jumping on this question, but I have a few questions for OAF too :D

We were trying to buy the house that we are renting, and with the new laws and being self-employed ... anyway, we are now looking at doing a carport structure to house our rabbitry instead of building a new shed for it. We have to do something that can be considered temporary. We would have to fully enclose it in order to insulate it. We have most of that figured out now.

What size is your carport?

It is 18'wide by 31'long.

We are looking at a 12'x24', but I am not sure that is big enough. We are also looking at having an enclosed area in the back for our processing and our quarantine. Do you think that would work?

Yes, and they actually sell them that way... https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... p0mkjIQohw

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... drs4SmdBDX

Right now we have 4 does, 2 bucks, 2 jr does, 10 6 1/2 week old kits, and 19 2 1/2 week old kits. We are already almost maxed out on cages. My cages are 2'x8' and they are free-standing. Right now, my rabbitry is housed in a 10'x15' dog kennel.

Those links are exactly the kind we are looking at! Would there be enough separation for quarantine? We are doing some climate control (right now we are using heat lamps in our current rabbitry), we will have to have some cooling in the summer. So far, we haven't really had to quarantine anybunny. We've had to pull a few kits to put them on oats and hay due to enteritis. I also think we will only be using our own stock. I don't plan on bringing anybunny in from an outside source. I want to plan ahead though and have a quarantine area in case I need it.

I am also thinking about basically making an island in the middle with grow-out cages underneath and a flat surface on top. It would be really nice to have a flat surface to work on stuff or check over buns. Another option would be to have it on the end up against the room and then do more cages, back-to-back in the middle. Not sure what our best option is.

I currently have 4 doe cages (2'x4'), 3 singles (31"x24"), and 4 grow-out cages (2'x4') with 2 more that need to be finished. Now that we are getting larger litters, I am running out of cage space if I keep 5'ish kits in each grow-out cage.

Thoughts?

Our new set up is going to be on our covered carport. OAF, can you please link me a thread with pics of your setup? I would really appreciate it :)

Thanks for the links! Wow, that's an awesome set up. We are going to be starting small with two 9' long cages. One divided into 3 holes. The other divided into one 6' long grow out cage and one 3' cage for my Boris.

Of course, I am making sure there is room for a second row of cages under the first ones, but don't tell hubby that.

Back