NZ with runny nose need help.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey goad

Reaction score
I have a female NZ with a little runny nose she's not cophing.
I got her some antiobiotics but a nother breeder told me just to kill her because he said she will always transfer it to her babys and not really get over it.
What u guys think?

First things first, please be sure to quarantine her away from the others right away.

Yes, always quarantine at the first sign of a problem. That gives you a chance to find out what the problem is without risking your other rabbits' health.

How long have you had this doe? Is the discharge clear, white, yellowish or green? Are there matted spots on her forelegs where she has been wiping her nose?

Has anything changed in the rabbitry that might trigger an allergy? Things such as: new hay, new bedding or material in the dropping trays, a new bag of feed with a lot of fines, new cleaner, air freshener, perfume, aftershave, unusually bad air pollution etc. etc.

Generally speaking, if the discharge is clear give the rabbit a bit of time in isolation and see what happens. Remove possible allergy triggers. Observe closely.

If the discharge is thick, white or coloured you might want to cull now. It could be snuffles or some other respiratory disease. Hard to treat successfully and a definite danger to the other rabbits.

Joey,
I believe the other breeder has a good point,
but so does Maggie. I would isolate the problem rabbit and see what happens.
Care for all of the other members of the herd first so as not to spread anything.
In most cases a sneezing rabbit is a cull rabbit. It is just NOT worth risking
the rest of the herd for one or two rabbits. That's just me!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ok i just got home frome work ad looked at her and there is no mated spots on here feet and her brethig seems to be good and no descharg in the nose. could it of been just a shock of the wether becuse it went frome 107F to 75F in 3 days? ive hade her for 2 months now and shes about 6 months old.

Back