Not new, but returning!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job on your bookkeeping. I'm sure I'm in the red but I have clean meat to eat when I want it. Down to just my doe and buck now and plan on staying that way for a month just to give myself a break. Good luck to you, you have nice rabbits.

Made a sheet of every kit's parent & age w/weight.
Looks like I have 5 to cull. Possibly a 6th, not much weight info to compare, so will look at current weight & shape.
One is a buck.
One has kits on her, so will list once pulled.
Will also list Blu.

Saturday-

$840 in the red. Broken castor buck sale of 40.
$800 in the red.

Last edited:
Culled a young black sf and then Blu. She developed flystrike on her tail and rapidly deteriorated overnight. Unfortunately, her kits were too early to save.
20230522_115805.jpg

Decided to keep the 3/4 sf, since she's the furthest along to back to sf. Will cull once there's doe kits to hold back.

F. Sure hate screamers!
Rex doe got a nest today. Halfarssed built & pulled fur in the corner with the extra hay I put in instead of in the hanging nest.
So, I reach in to remove the bad nest & she freaks & starts screaming. I grab her to stop her flying around the cage. Once she stops, I pull her out & again, the screaming!
I add a box & wire it to the corner she built nest in & added her hay/fur. I go to pick her up to put her back in & cue the insane screaming! F! Wth??
Eventually, she stops & I practically throw her in, as she starts screaming again.
F this doe!! Gawd!

Moved Blackie's kits out the other day & today put her in the cull cage.

2 went to LGDs. Another 2 today. Leaving 3 to go.

Gotta narrow down the rex kits soon.

So, I buy 20 bags Thursday, but not in stock. Told it'll arrive next day. Nope, not Monday, nor Tuesday either. Finally, it's in.
I get there and they have switched brands!! No warning, no excuse, no nothing, just oh well, take it or leave it. Wtf

If it was the same weight & all, it'd be fine, but it's not.
At least the bag isn't lying about corn use like the last one did.

10# lighter per bag.
Cost is supposedly $3 more per bag, too.
They f-d up though and gave me more, but serves them right for scamming their customers!

New bags-
14 bags 560#
6 "free" 240#

Old bags-
20 bags 1,000#

6 bags received previously 300#
1000-300=700 needed
560+240=800# in new feed

100# "free" but people will be paying more for less from now on.
20230525_131848.jpg

"2nd runner up speedy" had 10 kits on the wire. I messed up somewhere bc Speedy was supposed to be bred, not her. Got 7 warmed and alive, then found the 8th still in the cage, but was able to get it alive, too. So, just 2 were too far gone.
She decided to sit on them, frozen, with a haystach. So, moved the kits out and waiting for her to decide that her nest is ready.

Speedy is on a diet.
20230525_103753.jpg

The amber kit doe I'm still waiting on. Hasn't done anything with her 2 nests. Bred to amber kit buck. She'll be culled if she fails this litter.

11's nest is due Tuesday, bred to rivian, the new sf buck.

Lynx kits posted by are sired by lilac otter Rex and Rivian SF bucks.

14 SF wasn't been bred back, as she needed a break. Looks like she can be bred now.
45 needs a break, so won't be bred back for awhile.

$800 in the red. Plus 80 in "free" feed.
$720 in the red.

Last edited:
Saw some kicking in 3/4ths SF's belly. Put up a nest and she's staching hay.
20230525_173309.jpg

Moved the "2nd speedy" kits back into nest.

Choco kits, they're blue, not lilac, right? Blues are bucks, choc a doe.
20230525_172932.jpg20230525_172927.jpg20230525_172923.jpg

2nd speedy is still confused. Pulling fur, sitting on them, lost. One kit is missing. Held her over them to hopefully eat some & give her a clue. Has milk, just clueless. 🙄

Onyx buck 5.47 & doe 4.94 at 11wks.
Grumpy tort buck 5.60, choc buck 5.50 and black doe 5.54 13wks.
Speckle broken tort buck 6.17 and broken black doe 7.23 at 14wks.
Blackie kits, B 2.69, D 2.49, D 2.54, B 2.60, D 2.40 & D 2.45. Smaller weight kits culled.
Blu kits, 3.98, 4.28, 3.96 & 4.48. Smallest culled.
Choco kits, blue buck 2.52 & choc doe 2.33. Growing out the 2 smaller blues for the pelt, unless they sell.

Last edited:
Since feed is getting too expensive, it's time to experiment again!
Overnight, they got these & all gone by morning.
Gathered a lot more & different plants for today.
Hay they let fall away, so, I'm hoping this works better & keeps weight on them as they wait.
I'll continue to try to cull as early as possible to limit pellet use as well. Most promising stay with mom, then into outdoor pen when weaned.
20230526_185454.jpg

Latest posts

Back