Non-pregnant doe pulling fur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsstalker

Reaction score
I have never experienced this before and am hoping someone out thee can provide some insight.

I have a New Zealand White doe about, as of this posting, 10 months old. I attempted to bred her on Dec. 19th which did not take. For various reason I did not attempt another breeding yet. But, about three weeks ago I saw where she had pulled massive amounts of fur so to be on the safe side I put a nest box in her cage. After three days she had not delivered any young so removed the nest box.

Now, well four days ago, she pulled fur again.

Any suggestions as to why a non pregnant doe would do this?

John

My never-been-bred v-lop doe pulls fur regularly. Perhaps they are having false pregnancies? Or maybe hormones take over every now and again regardless? Either way, I find it rather frustrating as the girl never manages to grow her shoulder fur all the way back before pulling it again.

Happens sometimes. I had one who would go through false pregnancies every time a breeding failed. She also tended to make 3 nests starting about half way through pregnancy. I couldn't breed her often or she'd end up bald.

Spring is on its way, the days are getting longer and does want to be mamas.

Mine are doing the same thing.

Even my indoor rabbits are acting hormonal. I think I got the sable marten bred for her first litter. She was grunting at me when she's been placid so far. I tossed her in with Kido for it. If this weekend doesn't turn up a litter from the broken sable doe then Kido gets another present.

I can't answer your question. I have one small suggestion.
Save the fur ! You may need it for a doe that does not pull enough.

Sounds like a false pregnancy to me. I've had girls do that from time to time. I read one time that it can be brought on by the act of petting! Rubbing you rabbits back can cause it. LOL I don't know about that but what I did was bred mine the day after the fur pulling and nest making frenzy. Rabbits are very fertile after they give birth.
It seemed to break the cycle once she had a real litter to take care of. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for all the comments. I figured that if she wants to be pregnant I would put her back in with Clyde. He did his duty but to be on the safe side I waited about 8 hours and then put her back in with him. Hopefully this time she will produce a litter.

I have two other NZ does that have come in with nice litters. One born Dec. 19 with 9 bunnies with all living; then another of 9 delivered two nights ago with all seeming to be ok. I have one other doe that will be put in with Clyde next week.

In about a month or so I will start looking for another buck to service the 2nd generation does.

But all seems to be going well with the fledgling rabbit herd with no other problems.

Thanks again to those that provided their insights.

Wish you were closer, I really would rather not eat Cotton, he's in my gallery photos here, but I have too many bucks so, Cotton, Skittles and Racetrack are destined for freezer camp soon. Skittles and Racetrack are on the small/light built side, so not good breeding stock but Cotton is gorgeous.

We bred our NZ doe "Coconut" several weeks ago and she had 2 large babies that died. We just bred her again today (wanted to give her a little break) and she was so ready! She literally climbed onto the buck and showed him just what to do. LOL. We hope she has a successful litter this time. She's an experienced mom and usually has good size litters.

Latest posts

Back