No Tattoo

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
I'm getting a rabbit in a couple days, but she doesn't have an ear tattoo. She is 18 weeks old. Should I get her tattooed? I know that as they get older it is more painful to get tattooed.

More painful for you, or the rabbit?
Seriously, we've been practicing our tattooing skills on everything in the barn and haven't noticed that the age of the rabbit has made much difference. What has made a difference is how much the rabbit's been handled before we decided to decorate it's ear...the gentler they are, the fewer band aids we needed!

Lol :)

I originally thought "more painful for the rabbit", but I guess in reality it would be painful for me! This will be the first time that I tattoo a rabbit. I need to muster up some courage!

If you want to show her, she needs to have a tattoo. If not, and she is easily recognizable because of color or pattern, you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

I sometimes retouch tattoos on older rabbits before a show- especially in the past when I had to fix some of my clamp tattoos that had faded terribly. I haven't noticed that they are any more uncomfortable during the procedure than younger rabbits.

I have noticed that the closer you get to the tip of the ear (near where the fur starts) that they are sensitive, and you also want to stay away from the large vein that runs vertically up the ear.<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:21 pm __________<br /><br />
desertcat":h00ufeqm said:

That's funny, and oh-so-true! :lol:

I've found that the personality of the rabbit dictates how they react to the tattooing. ;) My easygoing, sweet little Breezy just hunkers down and squeezes her eyes shut until it's done. Jack, the bubbly flirty buck I've got, wiggles all over and tries his darndest to get me to stop. Classy, who's a bit of a nasty doe, growls and glares the whole time.

I don't think it's age, it's personality and degree they're accustomed to being handled. ;) If anything, I think young tattoos hurt worse, because the first time is a surprise, no way to brace themselves for it!!!

Latest posts

Back