no interest

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
longtail":i8mv2vbp said:
For ones own table a trio should keep plenty of meat available. You could xpect around 420 pounds live weight per year, about 50% of that would be table fare.
I think guinessguy is trying to feed an extended family, not just his own.

Hey, the IRS allows $0.55 per mile. Just saying.
I will need to get on the internet and have a look. Most of the stock ive got now came from about an hour away from here. If thats true i could have got some extra money for my trips.

guinnessguy":ylvmf0ao said:
I've only been into rabbits for a couple of months. I got into it because times are tough, we're raising a familly, and I'd like to move more towards self-sufficiency. Because I'm in the city, I'm limited to how many mature rabbits I can have, but my dream is to live in the country, where I could have a dozen-or-so does.

I've bought rabbit meat in the stores, and was quite impressed. That's another reason why I got into it.

I look forward to making rabbit a staple in our family's diet. All the info on here is invaluable!

If you like rabbit meat, the cost becomes easier to factor because you are getting a top quality protein without any unknown antibiotics or steroids.

Since you're in the city, DO NOT tell anybody you are eating them. Tell them they are pets if anybody asks. If the city gets wind of it, you can expect animal control to visit and make life miserable. A guy here in Sacramento was raising rabbits in his garage for human consumption as well as dog/cat food. Some people thought this was horrible and he was forced to shut down.

Even if you are 100% legal to raise rabbits in the city limits, it only takes an animal control officer to misinterpret the law and seize your rabbits, sell them through animal shelter adoption and send you a bill for feeding, housing, and sterilizing your rabbits.

Better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Have a good day!

Thanks Rabbit Geek!

I've looked into the city's bylaws, before getting started. One neighbor has asked what the cages were for, and I told him that we have rabbits outdoors, because we are all allergic to animals, but that it's a compromise for my 3 year old daughter to learn to care for animals/pets. The 5 i've got are legal, and even in my eyes for a while, are pets. The offspring are another story: They are for sale or freezer. Whichever comes first.

Latest posts

Back