Nivek valves and freezing weather

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatS

Reaction score
We've only dipped into freezing weather a couple of times this winter so far, and both times I put out crocks for water and brought in my flip-top nivek bottles. Both times the month old rabbits pooped in the crocks and knocked out the water. (What the heck are they doing INSIDE the water crocks when it is freezing?)

Nivek bottles don't have a ball, they have a post and a spring.

I will be out of town overnight soon, and the temps are forecast to drop into the high 20s overnight. Since I have two does with young'uns, I'm wondering if it would be better to use the bottles (two per cage) or crocks for the night I will be gone. Will the freezing burst the bottles or ruin the valves? The crocks did freeze, so I'm assuming the bottles will, too.

Those of you who don't have electric warmers, what do you do? We are almost never gone for more than a few hours so this has never come up before. My bunnies are used to warm water, apples, and oats every morning, so they are going to be ticked!

I have the same type of valves on an automatic system as well as buckets, and the freezing has not damaged them. I don't know what the effect on the bottles would be, but my guess is that as long as there was head room for expansion as the water turns to ice you should be fine.

I would provide crocks even if you do decide to use the bottles. The rabbits can lick the ice to get some hydration, and if it isn't frozen solid they will make a hole in the ice and still be able to drink.

I would also give them extra hay so they wont miss breakfast entirely.

I hope you have a nice little get away! :) Better bring back something nice for the bunnehs as a peace offering though! ;)

Back