News on our rabbitry, plus rant

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
I'm so excited! I found an advertisment for a purebred Netherland Dwarf buck for sale, so I contacted the person selling him, and we have booked a spot with a pet transport company- one that we have used for rabbit two times already. I have yet to hear back from the seller, but if all goes well I will have my new buck by the end of this month. He is a one year old blue otter buck, I don't know if he comes with papers or not yet, but he has all the good traits I need to improve our herds quality plus he is a twice proven breeder :)

Our latest litter are all sold, accept one black otter doe who will most likely just be sold to the pet shop. Bubblegum (Our newest doe) is due to have her first litter in around two weeks now- I can't wait!

Down side, I need to rant a bit here.
We brought a ND doeling from a breeder at the start of the year. Asked for the rabbits papers- but no, we had to be members of the RCNZ. Had the doe sent down around a month later, all good, and we joined the RCNZ. So the thing that is really bothering me is, I sent an email to the breeder a few weeks after receiving the doe (I know, a bit late. We where extremely busy then) asking politely again for the papers, had no reply, so I sent another email with the same thanks etc etc and wondering if they hadn't received the last email. Had a reply then, they said they had origanly sent a reply to the first email, and didn't know what happened. BUT, they now say they only give papers to breeders. Ok, so I send another reply, explaining for the second time that we ARE breeders, just trying to start our new rabbitry. I also gave a link to our rabbitry blog. I have not heard from them for, maybe three months? WHY?! :wall: I am just annoyed. When I first contacted them, I clearly stated that we where wanting a brood quality doe to help start off our rabbitry. We payed ALOT for that doe- you'd think they could least read the emails properly and supply the papers

Good luck with the new buck! :p

My goodness... what a bag of nutty you're dealing with in that seller! Can you maybe report her to the RCNZ?

You might be able to take them to court and force them to buy the rabbit back plus cover your transportation expenses, feed, time caring for the rabbit, any medical expenses, the cost of a new cage if you needed to buy one for the rabbit, etc. or produce the papers claiming they tried to defraud you. If they have a small amount of intelligence they'll produce the papers.

That's awesome! Hope everything works out with your new buck! :p

I'd hold on to the information from this breeder and emails exchanged. However,I'll rarely hand over money before I have the pedigree in hand. Even if I forget to print the pedigree for the sales animal I have at a show, I keep an ARBA hand written pedigree book with me or I just get a pen and fix that pedigree of a sibling(if I have it) that I have printed the pedigree for and sign it. If they insist I just go ahead and send it later, I will make sure it gets to them ASAP. Usually that night or the next day. It takes only a minute or two to save, attach, and send :) :)

Congrats on the progress!

Sounds like another hard lesson, if you don't get them at the time of sale you are not getting pedigrees. I know its not always the case, but it happens. It might be also the breeder is skeptical and thinks its rather flakey, I'd be questioning it if I wasn't told up front that was becoming a member, starting out, needed pedigreed stock only, etc. I think you did that though right? Only thing you can really do is keep after, if they refuse start from scratch or move her along in one way or another sadly.

Thank you everyone for your replies :)

Yes, I stated very clearly in the first email I sent them, inquiring about the litter they had for sale at the time, that me and my sister where starting out breeding rabbits, and where looking for a quality brood doe to help. Oh well, I guess we will just have to move on and make do with the stock we have :?

On the up side though, here is a un-posed pic of the buck I'm getting :) :

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.42.40 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.42.40 am.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 264

Latest posts

Back