Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica McIntosh

Reaction score
Hello I'm a stay at home momma with two boys and a girl. Husband works at UPS. Moved outskirts of circleville with a little bit of land to work with for vegetables and I just started raising rabbits a couple years ago. We sold a couple litters and decided to do meat rabbits this year. Still new to the process and requirements for housing them but I did three rabbits a couple weeks ago and now I need to finish at least three more but Im going to keep the females and get new males. Two had babies and well they didn't survive. I didn't even know they were pregnant. Anyhow I raise chickens to for eggs and meat and so this is something I'd like to keep doing starting again in the next spring.

Welcome. I raise for meat for myself so my numbers stay low. Think this starts year 3. Also have chickens and this spring hopefully will hatch out for meat. Hoping the buff orpingtons i got will sit. Maybe you know something about that? I love my rabbits and think they are very awesome animals. I canned my last 3 at 12 weeks to save freezer space. Turned out great. Merry Christmas.

Welcome! It’s great to supply some of your family’s meat need isn’t it! I find it really rewarding. All of my animal adventures started just this year - a friend gave me his covey of quail in May, and quickly discovered I wasn’t prepared to keep them cool in our summer this year (we had 6 weeks straight of temps over 110!!) so we ate them all and I set to work figuring out a better setup. I got my first rabbits at the end of Sept (they live in a well insulated shed that has an AC I can run when needed), and we added 35 new quail on Black Friday. We’re talking about also adding some meat chickens in a couple months (we’re in AZ so spring starts in like Feb lol). I’m loving it!

Hello I'm a stay at home momma with two boys and a girl. Husband works at UPS. Moved outskirts of circleville with a little bit of land to work with for vegetables and I just started raising rabbits a couple years ago. We sold a couple litters and decided to do meat rabbits this year. Still new to the process and requirements for housing them but I did three rabbits a couple weeks ago and now I need to finish at least three more but Im going to keep the females and get new males. Two had babies and well they didn't survive. I didn't even know they were pregnant. Anyhow I raise chickens to for eggs and meat and so this is something I'd like to keep doing starting again in the next spring.
Welcome! I started with a trio and have grown to 2 family groups (1 buck and several does each) and 2 grow out pens. I enjoy the colony system, watching them interact and " be rabbits" I use group housing with a yard for each. Permanent den boxes they nest in.bulk feeding, I've found when buck is living with the family he can be a good dad. They control breeding, but spending time with them and watching, you will notice when a litter is due. Whatever system you choose make it easy to clean, shade, ventilation, places to hide and room to exercise
And enjoy the adventure!

Back