Newbie question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mannbuns

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We have our first rabbits (NZREW) and are very excited to start our journey. The man we bought our buns from bred our does for us before bringing them home. One is her first pregnancy. My husband has emphasized that we have to be very careful to not stress out the girls so they won't miscarry. I obviously don't want that to happen, but I'm not sure if he's worrying too much or if we need to have everything absolutely quiet with no friends, or even our kids, coming in to look at them. Are they super sensitive and likely to miscarry at the slightest upset? Other than their first night here they have seemed calm.

Give them their nestboxes. You can check them from time to time but if they seem like they're giving birth soon, are kindling, or have just done so, leave them alone for a few hours. They usually try to do it when everyone's sleeping or at least almost everyone is not home.

I wouldn't let the kids handle them for a few days, but you should be able to handle the kits if you're careful and wash your hands before and after

Give them their nestboxes. You can check them from time to time but if they seem like they're giving birth soon, are kindling, or have just done so, leave them alone for a few hours. They usually try to do it when everyone's sleeping or at least almost everyone is not home.

I wouldn't let the kids handle them for a few days, but you should be able to handle the kits if you're careful and wash your hands before and after
They're only about a week and a half into their pregnancy. We aren't handling the does at all. But we have friends who are excited to see our new bunnies and so we have had a few people beyond our family members who have come in to their shed to look at them. And their shed is fenced but not enclosed and my kids are pretty loud when they play outside. My husband is concerned about the noise and activity. I didn't know how concerned we should be throughout the entire pregnancy.

I’m not an expert, but I don’t worry so much, they will have to get accustomed to their new life. I didn’t pick up my females when they were pregnant but I did handle them. And we are always in and out of the bunny hut, which is exposed to my dogs who break in to eat rabbit poop 😪. Not to mention the roosters are always crowing next door to them, my kids are in there all the time petting them and giving treats… I don’t know that I would be so worried. Obviously I wouldn’t recommend a mega speaker blasting heavy metal, or obnoxious high energy interactions but everyday calm interactions are just fine! Keep living! They will adjust.

I’m not an expert, but I don’t worry so much, they will have to get accustomed to their new life. I didn’t pick up my females when they were pregnant but I did handle them. And we are always in and out of the bunny hut, which is exposed to my dogs who break in to eat rabbit poop 😪. Not to mention the roosters are always crowing next door to them, my kids are in there all the time petting them and giving treats… I don’t know that I would be so worried. Obviously I wouldn’t recommend a mega speaker blasting heavy metal, or obnoxious high energy interactions but everyday calm interactions are just fine! Keep living! They will adjust.
Thanks, that makes me feel better!

I'm going to tell you my experience - bringing home bred does works about half the time. So if these pregnancies don't pan out, don't fret. Probably won't be anything you did or didn't do. I think it is a gamble (worth taking) because it typically takes does a week or three to feel safe in their new surroundings. Extra special quiet isn't necessary though I wouldn't run a marching band through there either. Fingers crossed for you but if not, they can be bred again!

Back