New Zealand with blue eyes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleeB

Reaction score
So I’ve searched for this everywhere here. My mama New Zealand who is black. Just gave birth to her third litter. I own both buck and doe. They are both pedigreed and registered. How in the world did I end up with a black New Zealand with blue eyes? Both buck and doe are black with brown eyes. Both have won tons of awards. I’m stumped. He is a beautiful buck and the blue eyes are gorgeous but it’s weird. Someone help me.

Hi! Are they a bright blue or a darker blue/gray like these? I get this from a few does and I suspect it is from the cchd chinchilla gene. If a self black carries cchd, the only way it shows is that sometimes they will have these blue/gray mottled eyes, but often it doesn't show at all. It's referred to as "self chinchilla," and it is something you should disclose if you sell any black rabbits from parents known to produce this, even if the ones being sold have brown eyes, since they could carry it.

20220524_072148.jpg

Hi! Are they a bright blue or a darker blue/gray like these? I get this from a few does and I suspect it is from the cchd chinchilla gene. If a self black carries cchd, the only way it shows is that sometimes they will have these blue/gray mottled eyes, but often it doesn't show at all. It's referred to as "self chinchilla," and it is something you should disclose if you sell any black rabbits from parents known to produce this, even if the ones being sold have brown eyes, since they could carry it.

View attachment 29878
No his eyes are very very blue. I’ll post a picture in a minute. He’s also solid black. No white on him anywhere.

Okay, if they are bright blue, I'd say @ladysown is likely correct and it's Vienna. I've never dealt with that, so I'm not sure how often you see the white patches, but maybe you just haven't seen it yet. He sounds gorgeous and I look forward to seeing his picture!

Okay, if they are bright blue, I'd say @ladysown is likely correct and it's Vienna. I've never dealt with that, so I'm not sure how often you see the white patches, but maybe you just haven't seen it yet. He sounds gorgeous and I look forward to seeing his picture!
I agree. I've found white marks on my kits a few days after they're born in places I've looked before

Also my next question I assume I will not be able to get a pedigree on him due to this. I hope I’m wrong and I hope someone knows for sure.

Wow, he is stunning!

A pedigree is just a record of lineage, so you can certainly have a pedigree for him if you have pedigrees for his parents, but you couldn't show or register him as the eye color is a disqualification.

Isn’t he cool? Yes I have a pedigree on him I meant register him. It’s such a bummer as I think he is so stunning.

Back