New Zealand Whites breeding age and behaviour

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sommrluv

Reaction score
I hope I'm not asking too many questions. This looks like a more active forum that other's I'd visited and I just like to learn. :)

We have some dutch belted and also just purchased some NZW (a buck, and a doe) Dh has done rabbits (and lambs and goats and chickens and cows...I'm a city girl)

The NZW whites are pretty, but seem really skittish. Their red eyes kind of freak me out a little. :oops:

Is six months considered an appropriate age to start a breeding program? They are 10-12 weeks now. Other than being skittish, they are settling in well, but they seem to sit with their eyes half closed a lot. They wake up when I bring them things, but mostly...sitting.

We purchased them from a very nice man with a clean facility and all the rabbits looked to be in wonderful health. There is no pedigree but they are purebred NZW.

i just bred my NZW doe she was six months old and is caring for the young very well she is kinda skittish to but i think its because she was not handled alot as a young rabbit that happens if the person raising them has a lot of rabbits and its more of a farm or commercial setting they have no time for the rabbit to get to know them

generally you go by weight. once they hit 6 lbs? or it is higher for NZ's" It's 6 lbs for Harlequins they are generally ready to breed.

NOTE: sometimes mentally they aren't all there and I'll often wait until they act mature before I breed them. But if they are 6 lbs they should be ready. For some that's at 5 months, others it's at 7. Depends on your rabbits.

Someone want to clarify what weight you shoot for with NZ's?

Some folks breed the NZ at 6 months. (they CAN conceive at 4 or 5 months, but it's really risky). The larger breeds like NZ are slower to mature internally/sexually.

The breeders of large breeds I've talked with, say wait until the doe is 3/4s of her mature weight...so if she's going to be around 10lbs as a top weight, you can breed at 7.5ish lbs.

And..there really IS a "look" about them when they're ready to breed, I've been seeing. It's like they get calmer, somehow. The doe will also let you know when you take her to the buck. Pure panic is a pretty good sign she needs some more time.

Back