New Zealand White Kits - What is Normal Growth?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheShedAcres

Reaction score
So, we have now 3 litters of kits, all born within 3 days of each other. Momma's are first time and doing a wonderful job taking care of them. They are getting big fast! My question is one that I have not been able to find a good answer on - What is normal growth for kits at various stages? For example, 1 week old kits should be between X oz. and X oz., at 2 weeks, X oz., etc. Is there a chart out there for New Zealand Whites that I can use for reference? Pic of my 11 day old kits.

Thanks!

Attachments

• rabbits.jpeg
    rabbits.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 8
They look so beautiful and healthy!

Kit weighing has been on the forefront of my mind lately. There seems to be rather limited information regarding young kits under 6 weeks old. "Normal" growth is hard to define as it ultimately depends on your bloodlines and stock. I found a really nice website once with a chart for each week but foolishly didn't bookmark it. If I find it again, I'll be sure to share it. I do have these below pages bookmarked of weighings another farm has posted online, which I have also used to help guide me in the right direction for what I'd like to achieve. We're slowly but surely improving our lines with each new generation here.
I suggest documenting it in a spreadsheet so you can view historical trends, and help you identify which kits to retain for future breeders. If you do document it, please share! I've not been good about it, so I don't have consistent enough data to be helpful. Mine are also mutts, so not quite as useful for your specific question.

So, a follow up question. Do you only weigh once a week? We've been weighing every few days to make sure they are all being fed.

I stopped weighing my rabbits before 8 weeks. Litter size and mother's milk have an effect on weight gain which I find evens out after weening. At that time I expect most to be at or over 5#. I process at 12 weeks and most are at or over 6# with a straggler or two in the 5# range. Any does over 7# at 12 weeks gets added to the breeding pool unless she has other issues.

I stopped weighing my rabbits before 8 weeks. Litter size and mother's milk have an effect on weight gain which I find evens out after weening. At that time I expect most to be at or over 5#. I process at 12 weeks and most are at or over 6# with a straggler or two in the 5# range. Any does over 7# at 12 weeks gets added to the breeding pool unless she has other issues.
What breed do you have? Wow, 7 lbs at 12 weeks is great! We're still trying to increase grow out size and keep some bigger does, but haven't found the right ones yet. I have too many bucks right now from keeping the ones with excellent growth rates, but can't seem to get any does with the same vigor! Fingers crossed for the litters we just had.

I used to weigh weekly. Now I weigh my litters at or nearest to birth as possible and then keep an eye on growth to see who might need alone time with mom. Then I weigh at 3 weeks and 8 weeks and 11 or 12 weeks

What I have read in rabbit meat production literature is the 21 day and 56 day weights (3 and 8 weeks) are the most informative in determining if the sire and dam are a good match for growth rates. If not as productive in weight as compared to other mating pairs, don’t mate them with each other any longer if it’s growth rate you’re after.

Breeding purebred Silver Fox (multipurpose) and NZ/Calif mixed (meat).

What breed do you have? Wow, 7 lbs at 12 weeks is great! We're still trying to increase grow out size and keep some bigger does, but haven't found the right ones yet. I have too many bucks right now from keeping the ones with excellent growth rates, but can't seem to get any does with the same vigor! Fingers crossed for the litters we just had.
I started with two Creme D'Argent does and an Altex/NZW buck. I added a California doe a year later. Everything I have now is a mix of those four originals. I just added an American Chinchilla buck but I don't know yet if he is an improvement over the bucks I already have. At this point I only have 7 working does. They are mutts but I am happy with the production.

I was just able to retain a doe that was 7.5lb at 12.5 weeks! Two of her sisters were each 7lb at 12.5 weeks as well. I am excited! All that BOSS and rolled oats I was giving the does to try to improve their condition must have all gone straight through to the kits. They are the biggest the fastest I have had so far in my Rex. :)

Your litters are looking beautiful!

Hi! Thanks! It's something I've been building in Google Sheets, with an accompanying Google Form where you enter the data (survey format). It's pretty complex with different scripts required to auto-populate the form with your rabbit names, vendors/customers for the ledger, etc. and I'd like to share it here, but it's not ready yet. It will likely take many more hours of development time to finish and write out instructions for updating the scripts, etc., which unfortunately I don't have time for. Maybe someday I'll have it ready and can share!

Screenshot_20220405-081115_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Back