New User, Too Many Kits, Please Help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred123

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to rabbits, and I think I have made a big mistake. We suspected that two of our does were pregnant, but since they have always gotten along so well, I just put them in a bigger cage with two nest boxes instead of separating them. When we went to check on them this morning, there were thirteen kits all in one nest. The colors of the babies seem to indicate that both does kindled in the one nest. It seems like they are only using the other box as a litter box. The does seem to still be getting along fine, but I am concerned about the kits. Should I move some of the kits and one of the does to a new enclosure? Should I create a nest in the other nest box and put some of the kits in there, or should I just leave them and hope for the best. Thoughts?

If they were mine, would y move a doe into a new enclosure. Once she's settled down, you can give her a fresh nestbox with half the kits. Best to move her right away. Don't worry, rabbits can't count, BUT they can harm kits out of fear or stress. You can keep the babies away from her for up to 12 hours if that's what it takes to calm her down.

If you arent having any problems right now, honestly, I'd leave them be. I've had does raise litters in the same box before. Kits came out really well and grew fast due to double the feedings. As long as the box is big enough to hold the kits as they grow.

I currently have three litters in two different boxes. They all seem to be getting fed just fine. Rabbits don't nurse out of love, or even because their kits are hungry; they nurse to relieve mammary discomfort. In the box with two litters, there was one kit that looked underfed and runty. I fostered him over to the box with one little and all seems to be going well. Good luck!!

FYI: The reason this happened is that I have 4 does in one enclosure and we are moving to a colony system.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your help. We did separate the babies after the first post and then had to go out of town for a few days. We did lose one kit, but everyone else seems to be doing great. Thank you for all of your help!

Latest posts

Back