New to the rabbit world

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter1A

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Got my first california buck and rex mix doe in April. Since this is day 32 I guess she isn't pregnant. She hasn't pulled fur but is keeping her nest clean and doesn't eat that hay. I will give her until day 34 to try again. Their cages are right beside each other in a hutch outside. I usually let them out to romp while I am nearby every day. Just started letting her out again yesterday since she was bred thinking she shouldn't get too hot. I feel like I should build on to each cage so they can play around but I don't see alot of folks worrying about that.

Put her back with the buck, If she lifts and he does his thing, she probably isn't pregnant. How old are they? As long as they get along, keep them together until a week before she is due again.

This morning she had 13, one was dead. I was so surprised to see the fur and then wowsie wow, I counted 12. She is 8 months old and he is about the same. All 3 of us are new to this but I guess we did alright. He is a California white and she is a rex cross. I'm wondering if she will be able to feed all of them. For now I am thankful to God for blessing me with these wonderful babies.

Congratulations.
Twelve is a lot, but normally manageable. Be sure to feed her well, you can free feed her and add oatmeal and/or sunflower seeds to her diet, she'll need a lot of energy. I mix the aotmeal with the pellets and put a little sunflower seed oil over it. Keep checking how her spine feels so you notice if she gets skinny.
A doe nursing that many can't get fat, i like those times when I can feed whatever makes them happy :)

Congratulations.
Twelve is a lot, but normally manageable. Be sure to feed her well, you can free feed her and add oatmeal and/or sunflower seeds to her diet, she'll need a lot of energy. I mix the aotmeal with the pellets and put a little sunflower seed oil over it. Keep checking how her spine feels so you notice if she gets skinny.
A doe nursing that many can't get fat, i like those times when I can feed whatever makes them happy :)
thank you. so like steel cut oatmeal i think I have but any oatmeal that isn't instant? I started adding sunflower seeds a while back, she loves them. lots of fresh greens from the garden also.

Incredible! Don't be surprised if you loose a few, that is a lot of babies! Especially for a first time mama!

Just plain, rolled oats, i thought that is what's called kitchen oatmeal? (not a native english speaker)
Rolled oats is a good enough descriptor.

In America we have 3 main types of oatmeal
Rolled oats - steamed and then flattened between rollers
Steel cut oatmeal - gained popularity a few years ago but is not steamed and is sliced rather than smashed
Instant oatmeal - partially (maybe fully) cooked (more than steaming) and then dried to make them super fast to prepare.

Congratulations.
I was giving her black sunflower seeds in the pellets and she started bleeding quite a few drops while pooping. I stopped the seeds, let her out to be free a while, put her back and she pooped and peed ALOT with no blood so I'm thinking they are too rough on her. Sticking to pellets and a little alfalfa hay for now. All 12 are squirming around, hope she is feeding them.

This morning she had 13, one was dead. I was so surprised to see the fur and then wowsie wow, I counted 12. She is 8 months old and he is about the same. All 3 of us are new to this but I guess we did alright. He is a California white and she is a rex cross. I'm wondering if she will be able to feed all of them. For now I am thankful to God for blessing me with these wonderful babies.
That's a good crowd you have there, congratulations! Are you ready for the 12?🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇

Could she have had another a day later because the beginning count is now 14 but are down to 8 live.
6 days later we are down to 6 babies. She seems more content. I have not seen her feed them but she is moving them around and scooting out the dead or dying. 14 was crazy and I hope we don't lose any more now. I have her on pellets and water only. I gave her some hay this morning thinking she may eat some and use it in the nesting box.

Oh yes inmwant leaving the buck with the doe up to a week until its due... Its not as we are watching it24 hrs a day..
Easy killer, you put them together for 5 minutes or until the doe is fed up. If he gets fall offs, then she probably isn't pregnant.

Changing the topic here....my Cali White is getting the yellowish brown fur at his backside. What do people use to brighten that back up to a clean white? Something home made?
Is there a reason he's getting dirty? You could use some dawn dish soap or a pet shampoo.

Latest posts

Back