New to the forum

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScarletAcres

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for the add to the website. It's nice to be somewhere other then fb what with all the changes going on there.

I run a simple small homestead, seven rabbits (three
bucks with one being mini rex, one lionel head, and the other palomino, and four does one mini rex, two palominos, and a suspected mini satin). I also have a breeding trio of guinea pigs which I am very new at. The rabbits I have been working with for at least five years with show and meat.

Welcome! I'm a show breeder (Himalayans) myself, nice to see other breeders on here. Palominos are lovely

michaels4gardens":29ilz5we said:
welcome...
SableSteel":29ilz5we said:
Welcome! I'm a show breeder (Himalayans) myself, nice to see other breeders on here. Palominos are lovely
Thank you for the welcome, it's always nice to meet fellow breeders. I considered Himalayans at one point myself. I'm still fairly new to the show world and considering entering a local show on Nov. 2 with my Mini rexes. Though I'm not sure about my buck. I caught it before it could get severe but he is still regrowing fur on his feet from a near sore hocks case

ScarletAcres":32bkdwzm said:
I also have a breeding trio of guinea pigs which I am very new at.
What are you plans or lack of plans concerning the guinea pigs?

Ghost":1i6t8cle said:
ScarletAcres":1i6t8cle said:
I also have a breeding trio of guinea pigs which I am very new at.

My main plan is to use them as a new source of protein in my cat's diet

ScarletAcres":2bqetaz8 said:
Ghost":2bqetaz8 said:
My main plan is to use them as a new source of protein in my cat's diet

I am interested in GPs as a source of food. My involvement with a GP herd is best explained by this POST

Are you keeping your GPs live in a single communal area, or are you keeping the boy separated from the girls. I like setups where GPs are kept in a single bunch. However, If you are only wanting to produce enough GPs to feed a single cat then a single group would be tricky. The population "can" increase rapidly, if you are not careful (leading to a freezer full of GPs).

I like the single group setup because it lets the GPs live in a situation that is (natural) to them. If watch a group of GPs such as this VIDEO you can see the group dynamic at play. Odiously you would not want a group this large, because a group this size requires a massive amount of culling to maintainer population stability.

I suppose that if you were to keep 1 male and 2 or 3 females in a herd you could move the babies to a grow out pen/herd as soon as they were 'weened'.

If you are interested in a detailed GP discussion, we could start a separate thread on GP breeding, and call it "raising guinea pigs as feeders", or something like that.

Ghost that would be an amazing idea! I currently have the Male housed with two girls. Both should be due around Dec about a week apart. I definitely want a main small herd and then a grow out herd where I can monitor individuals for keepers and culls. I do want to keep genetics fresh though so I may set up one other small herd so I can swap in some fresh genetics when needed. I really like roan and would adore getting a roan
/dalmatian boar to pair up with not roan or dalmatian females to safely produce more.

Back