New To Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all. Just a quick intro. We're just getting into raising rabbits for meat and pelts. We currently have a chocolate silver fox buck, and 3 rex does (red, black, and black otter). We have 4 kiddos (almost 11, 7, 5, and 1), and we're working toward become more self sustained.
20230930_195353.jpg
Elvira

20231016_144305.jpg
Fionn Mac Cumhaill

20230930_195315.jpg
Astrid and Kate

It will be interesting to see how they manage to become dinner when they're getting named and occasionally dressed up? Although perhaps those will be the breeders and the offspring will become the dinners? In any case, welcome to Rabbit Talk, it's one of the best rabbit sites available, IMHO.

It will be interesting to see how they manage to become dinner when they're getting named and occasionally dressed up? Although perhaps those will be the breeders and the offspring will become the dinners? In any case, welcome to Rabbit Talk, it's one of the best rabbit sites available, IMHO.
Well, Kate is my daughter's. She'll live out her life here. Astrid and Elvira are just named for ID purposes. Fionn Mac Cumhaill will likely live out his life here as well. He's puppy-like personality wise.

Kate might just be maturing early and need breeding.... :) Just saying, if ladies act up... they usually want a feller hanging around...
She's still too little yet unfortunately. She's only 4.5lbs right now. We were told her birthday was July 15th, but she seems awfully small I think.

As far as I can tell, temperament is genetic. It's one of the criteria we use when selecting breeding pairs and the bunnies are more friendly and easier to handle than when we started. If Fionn is a buck and good in all other respects, he'd be worth using as a herd sire for his temperament.

She's still too little yet unfortunately. She's only 4.5lbs right now. We were told her birthday was July 15th, but she seems awfully small I think.
that all depends what breed she is. there are lots of people who are less than accurate with breed id... or even with truly knowing age. can a 4.5 lb meat rabbit get and want to be breed. YES. I've had six week old kits that I've needed to separate because they were so hormonal they were terrorizing mom and siblings.

that all depends what breed she is. there are lots of people who are less than accurate with breed id... or even with truly knowing age. can a 4.5 lb meat rabbit get and want to be breed. YES. I've had six week old kits that I've needed to separate because they were so hormonal they were terrorizing mom and sisiblings.
She's a standard rex

As far as I can tell, temperament is genetic. It's one of the criteria we use when selecting breeding pairs and the bunnies are more friendly and easier to handle than when we started. If Fionn is a buck and good in all other respects, he'd be worth using as a herd sire for his temperament.
That's the hope!

Yes, if she was born in mid-July, I'd hold off on breeding her too; at three months of age and 4.5lbs, it sounds like she could use a bit more time. But @ladysown is right - they can get hormonal pretty early, and I've had a 12-week-old buck sire a litter (accidentally - he was quite motivated!).

It looks like she is living with another doe - if you have the space, you might try putting her in her own cage. Does can be territorial and maybe she's just wound up from the battle for, or the maintenance of, the social hierarchy. And, like a friend who spent some time in jail as a young man says: isolation goes a long way toward changing an attitude. ;)

The other thing to think about is that if she's really comfortable and confident from lots of handling by your daughter, she might think she's the alpha, even over humans. A little training might help with that. There's a full discussion of this on this thread:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/help-rabbit-is-attacking-me.35974/page-2#post-350570
Like @hotzcatz says, temperament is strongly related to genetics, but I have some of the sweetest does ever who still went through an uppity phase as they hit sexual maturity. It's the only temperament pass I give; in any other case, a truly aggressive or even unfriendly rabbit is designated by my kids as a "pot bunny." :ROFLMAO:

Yes, if she was born in mid-July, I'd hold off on breeding her too; at three months of age and 4.5lbs, it sounds like she could use a bit more time. But @ladysown is right - they can get hormonal pretty early, and I've had a 12-week-old buck sire a litter (accidentally - he was quite motivated!).

It looks like she is living with another doe - if you have the space, you might try putting her in her own cage. Does can be territorial and maybe she's just wound up from the battle for, or the maintenance of, the social hierarchy. And, like a friend who spent some time in jail as a young man says: isolation goes a long way toward changing an attitude. ;)

The other thing to think about is that if she's really comfortable and confident from lots of handling by your daughter, she might think she's the alpha, even over humans. A little training might help with that. There's a full discussion of this on this thread:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/help-rabbit-is-attacking-me.35974/page-2#post-350570
Like @hotzcatz says, temperament is strongly related to genetics, but I have some of the sweetest does ever who still went through an uppity phase as they hit sexual maturity. It's the only temperament pass I give; in any other case, a truly aggressive or even unfriendly rabbit is designated by my kids as a "pot bunny." :ROFLMAO:
She's soon going to be getting her own space. Just working out the finally plans. I'm hoping she'll put some weight on then. She wasn't free fed before I got her, so I don't know if maybe that had a part in her size too.

She's not aggressive at all. She just doesn't like being handled. She's neurotic I swear lol.

I'm sure hoping Fionn passes his temperament on! I'm learning the hard way that skittish rabbits aren't fun to work with lol.

Back