new setup, cage sanitization- especially ear mites

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
Ok yall.. I still have this one rabbit. Yes, the 2y/o doe that was actually a buck! Well that florida white buck I bought come up with ear mites. I could not keep it controlled and was unable to treat any more than I already was. Lo and behold this rabbit I've been holding onto forever is right next to it and I treated twice and it never got ear mites. I ended up putting down the FW buck, I should have done it sooner poor thing would have had mangled up damaged ears even if I could have saved him by that point.

This is the third time, I think, that I've had one rabbit get ear mites and they just would not go away. I want to get a doe. I have like 6 cages. I need to suitably sanitize them so that I can build a real hutch around them and get back to rabbits. I do not want to get another rabbit only to have ear mites again! The cages are from the store and the wire is grey and black speckled. I wasn't sure if it's some kind of coating or what. I have a flame weeder torch and was going to torch them but I also don't want to ruin these practically brand new cages.

I want to invest in the nivok nipple water system from KWcages. It's pretty much ready to go and you can do the add-on for each cage after 5, which the system is made for. So it will be pretty simple and can be used as long as it's not freezing. Winter will be stuck with bowls but I'll have about half the year covered then.

Take a page from bed bug sanitizing. Put the cages in black trash bag or seal in black plastic if they are too large. Wrap them one more time. Set in the summer sun. All stages of the life cycle should get killed. For extra insurance, stack the cages outside over winter and get the other end of thermo sanitizing.

I have four cages that have been laying outside. I had used them to bring the chickens over to the area to butcher. So they've been outside in sun and rain for like two months. I'm going to spray them down. If I can get the torch going on my own I'll do a test spot on the cage to see if the stuff messes up or what.

...I may have brought home three Californian does when I went with Dad to sell a few round bales... *innocent smile!* ...

Latest posts

Back