New Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
Since I’m new to this, I just want to ask so I know what to expect. I’m sure each rabbit is different because I can already see their different personalities. But approx how long does it take rabbits to get use to their new home and owners? Anything we can do to help keep them relaxed besides trying not to spook them? One of our bucks is crazy uptight that he’s broke one of his claws running around. The other just kind of watches him wondering what he’s doing. LOL Does are a little skittish but not too bad. What I expected. More so just the one buck I’d like to help a bit more.

It'll probably take a week or two. Talking to them in a gentle voice and offering them treats should would, as well as petting them as often as they let you

Some rabbits enjoy soft music on a low volume. My son once had a pet rabbit that adored The Righteous Brothers. It reduced "Buffy" to a puddle of bliss. It was quite amusing to see her.

So it's something to consider trying, but under supervision in case your nervous buck freaks out.

How is the housing situation? Bucks get frustrated. I have a very sweet established buck and a younger buck. The older buck is super laid back and friendly. Their cages are next to each other. I was keeping a feed bag between their cages as a visual barrier so they wouldn't irritate each other. I recently replaced it with a piece of plexiglass. This worked fine for a couple weeks, then the established buck got very stressed out, active, digging and running around his cage. He started trying to fight through the plexi. As soon as I put the feed bag back, he turned back into his calm, sweet self and laid out on his shelf LOL

IMG_20220404_121108097_HDR.jpg

He also gets very upset and nervous if he is too close to does, (for a different reason).

So your buck may not be reacting to being in a new location, he may be reacting to his roomies! Try putting some visual blockers around his cage and see if it helps him calm down.

Hope this is helpful

- Liz

Oh, and about 'spooking' them. You can get them used to just about anything. Or at least my rabbits are. Maybe I have special rabbits (I don't think so) I use hammer drills, I clean their metal poop chute by banging on it, I drop things on their cages and the metal roof bangs and pops in the windstorms we have almost daily. Nothing fazes them. Even the babies get used to it. So you don't have to be super quiet around rabbits. It's probably better to accustom them to some activity.

There are does nearby but the nervous one cannot see them. He does have another buck next to him, but they really get along, when I watch from a distance there is no nervous or out of the ordinary behaviour. It’s only when we approach. It’s been a couple days and he has calmed some! Hasn't run in circles again, just a little jumpy when we approach but calms after a bit. We’ve gotten him to initiate contact on his terms so he trusts us more before we just initiate it ourselves. I’m hoping he will be good in a few more days. I guess the transport and new home must have just been more traumatic for him than the others. Others are fine and eating as normal. He’s still eating and pooping, etc but little less than the others. We do plan to have them used to noise and movement, just didn’t want to startle them the first few days in an all new environment. Wildlife noises and neighbourhood dogs and storms haven’t bugged them, so that’s good. They’ll have to get use to the lawnmower in summer, though. LOL Not sure they had much exposure to that in their old home.

Bring treats! LOL ... I calmed down a mean (vicious) doe with sunflower seeds and whole wheat berries. Every morning I brought her (and everyone else) some 'granola' and soon she was running to the cage door when she saw me.

Bring treats! LOL ... I calmed down a mean (vicious) doe with sunflower seeds and whole wheat berries. Every morning I brought her (and everyone else) some 'granola' and soon she was running to the cage door when she saw me.
They were raised on a pellet only diet and we are currently transitioning feed. I was just saying I wish we could bring them treats but they aren’t used to them yet and didn’t want to shock their digestive systems too much. We gave them some Timothy hay cubes, which was new, old owner didn’t even give them hay, and they all ate it right up except the nervous buck. LOL. I’m excited for when we can intro more treats.

I'm not at all careful with my rabbits, however they are Tamuks which are a 'composite' rabbit (fancy name for meat mutt) They are extremely hardy and calm. BUT - I would think that you could give your rabbits a teaspoon/tablespoon of rolled oats (I get mine from our kitchen) or sunflower seeds, or wheat without a problem. I'm not talking about a bowl full or buying some additive-filled treat from the pet shop.

But, use your own judgement, I don't want to be responsible. (I don't even want to be responsible for my advice in person haha)

Since I’m new to this, I just want to ask so I know what to expect. I’m sure each rabbit is different because I can already see their different personalities. But approx how long does it take rabbits to get use to their new home and owners? Anything we can do to help keep them relaxed besides trying not to spook them? One of our bucks is crazy uptight that he’s broke one of his claws running around. The other just kind of watches him wondering what he’s doing. LOL Does are a little skittish but not too bad. What I expected. More so just the one buck I’d like to help a bit more.

I don't know what it is with new bucks breaking toenails, but twice now I have had bucks break toenails the first few days of being brought in. They were each of very different ages and activity levels, and it never happened with the does. Your buck may have a higher energy level, too, so he may be needing to exercise more than the others. Depending on their ages, just smelling an open doe in the area can get a buck to running around and being agitated, particularly if he is higher energy anyway.

Giving them some rolled oats when you are ready is great for helping rabbits become comfortable with you and they should be easier on the digestive system and help prevent diarrhea.

It sounds like you are doing great with them! It is so exciting when you can finally get the rabbits after putting in so much planning and effort. :)

I don't know what it is with new bucks breaking toenails, but twice now I have had bucks break toenails the first few days of being brought in. They were each of very different ages and activity levels, and it never happened with the does. Your buck may have a higher energy level, too, so he may be needing to exercise more than the others. Depending on their ages, just smelling an open doe in the area can get a buck to running around and being agitated, particularly if he is higher energy anyway.

Giving them some rolled oats when you are ready is great for helping rabbits become comfortable with you and they should be easier on the digestive system and help prevent diarrhea.

It sounds like you are doing great with them! It is so exciting when you can finally get the rabbits after putting in so much planning and effort. :)
Oh, good point, I didn’t consider the activity level. I’ll keep that in mind if there isn’t much improvement the next couple days.

I’m so nervous to put all my researching and prepping into practice! LOL but you wouldn’t believe how giddy I was one one doe came up to me all on her own today and let me pet her. She’s settled in nicely!

So, I don’t have a pic of the does except in their hutch but my camera keeps focusing on the hutch wire and not them, so, it’s blurry. I’ll try to get a better pic of them now that they’re more settled.

We have two NZ/Cali cross does. One all white and one with the Cali markings.
Then we have the same for a buck, he's all white. This is the nervous one, as you can see in the pic. LOL.
Then a second buck that’s a NZ/Flemish Giant cross. Adding some colour to the mix and he is so curious and gentle! He’s the same size as the other buck and ready to get to work. He was trying to do his job at the farm while picking him out. 😂

Attachments

• D26E0FF9-4DFE-425E-8D60-877B1A0B06AC.jpeg
    D26E0FF9-4DFE-425E-8D60-877B1A0B06AC.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 75E3A89C-4009-4D4D-92F0-BBD6F6BFFF74.jpeg
    75E3A89C-4009-4D4D-92F0-BBD6F6BFFF74.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 11
Oh, good point, I didn’t consider the activity level. I’ll keep that in mind if there isn’t much improvement the next couple days.

I’m so nervous to put all my researching and prepping into practice! LOL but you wouldn’t believe how giddy I was one one doe came up to me all on her own today and let me pet her. She’s settled in nicely!

So, I don’t have a pic of the does except in their hutch but my camera keeps focusing on the hutch wire and not them, so, it’s blurry. I’ll try to get a better pic of them now that they’re more settled.

We have two NZ/Cali cross does. One all white and one with the Cali markings.
Then we have the same for a buck, he's all white. This is the nervous one, as you can see in the pic. LOL.
Then a second buck that’s a NZ/Flemish Giant cross. Adding some colour to the mix and he is so curious and gentle! He’s the same size as the other buck and ready to get to work. He was trying to do his job at the farm while picking him out. 😂

Thanks for the pictures! I haven't had time to read everything lately, but I saw they were having issues with sneezing. Sounds like you are doing a good job with it (although I don't say that from experience)! I heard somewhere that buying animals is a risk, regardless of how careful you are. There is always the risk that they might not be what you were looking for, or aren't as healthy as they should have been, or don't perform as well as they did for the original breeder, or any number of other things that are possibilities, even if a person gets the animals from top-of-the-line breeders or farmers. Farming is not an easy task or 'hobby', since it involves living animals and/or crops and weather patterns that must be contended with. But we all take those risks because we deem the benefits to be worthwhile, don't we?! Of course the risks can be reduced by research, careful thought and consideration, seeking advice, etc, but it seems that lots of times farming boils down to sleepless problem-solving and outbuilding re-working, interspersed with the joyful times of cuddling cute baby animals and sharing them with others. Fun stuff!! :)

Latest posts

Back