New rabbit owner: Kits expected next week & low temps

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

Reaction score
Hi, this is our first time on this board. We've had chickens for many years and decided last year to "adopt" 1 baby New Zealand Red Buck (Sam) and a Californian Doe (Snickers) for pet/meat purposes. Once both of them were 6 months of age (beginning of Feb) we decided to let them mate for the first time and should be expecting babies the first week of March. We've read that rabbits can tolerate cold temps well - we are in western PA and it's been down to -10 F.

Our rabbits are in suspended wire cages on the back side of our chicken coop, well protected from wind/draft by tarps on all sides and a huge metal roof that covers part of the chicken run. We also added a wooden "house" for the buck and a wooden nesting box (incl. wooden floor/covered with vinyl flooring plus drain holes) for the doe filled with straw once the temps got below 10 for some added warmth (don't think they really needed it but it made our daughter feel better about keeping them outside). I know we are not supposed to put in the nesting box until day 28 but we wanted to give her a place to hide/stay warm like her husband :roll: . We've seen our doe standing/hovering over her heated water dish box, so I assume even she's been a bit cold. This week we added some hay to the box for the doe. Two days ago we started to see little white patches of fur. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Our main question is: If the temps stay like they have been - up to -11F at night, do the mom/babies need additional heat (I could add a heat lamp suspended on top of the cage) or should they be fine? I read other posts of babies dying recently so concerned - this will be our first set of kits and it would be nice to see them survive and grow. Any suggestions, ideas etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I wouldn't add a heat lamp, especially if they are outside. It could move around and pose a fire hazard. You can insulate them as much as possible, give her extra straw and hope for the best.

I hang the red chicken heat lamps over the nest box.
I did worry about a fire, like RJ said, but I have the lamps hanging and they can't be knocked down.
When the does kindled, the kits were all cold, even in the nests. That prompted the heat lamps. All all fine now at 2 weeks.

If you decide to go with the heat lamp - or any other kind of electrical heat - be certain that the cord is zip-tied up and out of reach of all critters. Rabbits will almost always find a way to chew on an electrical cord if given even half a chance. Also be mindful of electricity and water. And all of those other kinds of safety things.

My first choice would be to make sure she has some extra straw. Pack it in her box and let her burrow into it.

I know it may not seem like it, but Spring will be here soon. Honest.

Good luck to you!

I live in NW PA, and temps have dropped as low as -26 F up here this winter.

I have my rabbits in a greenhouse-like plastic covered structure, which keeps them out of the wind, and holds some extra heat on sunny days.

The biggest danger to my kits seems to be from being accidentally pulled out of the box by does when they are finished nursing.

So, for my own peace of mine, I've just been bringing the nestboxes inside, and taking them back out for nursing once a day.
My two does with nestlings right now only seem to want to nurse once, which is OK, since the kits are not getting thin between feedings. Some does nurse twice.

Latest posts

Back