New rabbit mom in the Low Sierras

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKT

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm grateful to have found this website! I just picked up three American Blues yesterday. One doe and two bucks. One buck is a cull from the seller I purchased for meat. The other is a fairly nice quality boy. I was entertaining acquiring either meat rabbits or Coturnix quail for my tiny homestead almost 4 years ago, and decided on the quail, since I can eat quail eggs but I'm too reactive to chicken eggs, and did not feel like I could look in a rabbit's eyes and still process it. Quail are easy. I thank every one of them. I am now a pretty good quail mama. They have a lovely aviary and are busy little birds. I currently have around 65 of the little stinkers! They peck at my feet and follow me around and demand all their various goodies! They love getting their chins rubbed.

I hope with the help of this forum to be a good responsible kind mama to my rabbits. I found the American Blues locally which was a great help. I intend to turn my second quail run into a rabbit run. I'd like for them to have a comfortable space with enrichment. I acquired them for meat and I'm interested in other heritage meat rabbit breeds, just like my quail, but I want them to have the best life I can give them. Since I appreciate that there are people here who have rabbits as pets, I will probably be mostly hanging out in the meat rabbit part of the forum. My reasoning is that one, I need to feed my dogs well. My dogs are champion Poodles which only means that I love that breed and supported an amazing AKC breeder of merit who is working very hard to improve the breed. I have a partnership in three, one was imported from Ukraine and he was born amid shelling. Two is that I am so heartbroken by the way meat is produced in this country, factory farming is horrendous. I know people need to eat and don't have a choice (except for choosing to eat less meat), but my husband and I eat very little meat now because of this. I want the meat I feed my dogs to be sustainable and raised with kindness. Therefore I want to learn everything I can to give my rabbits the best life I can.

Last edited:
great to have you join us. I raise mice and rabbits and feed my cats using them. a rabbit only diet won't be the best thing for your poodles as generally feeding a more varied diet is best for critters... the quail will help! :) if you have a small homestead... soon you'll be adding pigs and goats to the mix. Your dogs will be living the high life! :)

Thanks very much! Rabbit is just supplemental for them. They will eat eggs and love the quail, but those make a better meal for us. They also get turkey, and ground beef as " puploaf" with added oats and eggs and veg. Also pork when I find it on sale, but mostly Acana pork. Fromm kibble. Trying to get more meals out of their meat. They get liver and fish, I'm trying to source heart. Meat is just going up, so it was time. I can't have goats or pigs as even though I'm on 2/3 of an acre it's still residential. We garden all year though, so there's greens for us, the birds, and now the rabbits.

Back