New Rabbit Barn! Advice?

Help Support RabbitTalk:

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
I've outgrown my old rabbit barn and we are building a new one! It's 10'x10', 6' sidewalls and 10' peek. I'll put in a loft for storage.
My main question is: I wanted to originally make the wall areas by the cages removable for ventilation (cutting strips where cages are and removing them in summer). basically make the shed as ventilated as possible. But would a closed system be better? Have it the exact opposite, no air going in or out so I can put an AC in and not worry about the cold air leaving. I have a swamp cooler in the current barn that isn't very practical because the back door is mesh. I have fans for the outdoor and indoor cages.
What do you think? Is a closed system with a good AC better than a completely ventilated barn?

hotzcatz

Reaction score
A new barn is always good!

Is there any way to do both? Have removable ventilation and also be able to close it up for A/C? Hinging wall segments by the cages would be easy to open and close the 'windows'.

Here in Hawaii, we're always concerned with cooling with breezes since electricity rates are too high to use A/C. If there are open-able vents down near the floor and a vent up at the peak of the roof, the cooler air can come in from below and go up through the building and the hotter air can exit from the peak. If some tasty to bunnies plants were planted along the sides, that would further cool the air before it vented into the building.

White roof to reflect heat and big roof overhangs to shade the side of the building are other building techniques we use in Hawaii to keep things cooler.

Is there any way to have overhead hay storage that will automatically fill feeders? I've not figured out details since we can't afford hay here ($38 for a small bale) but if we did feed hay, it would be an interesting thing to figure out.

Oh, and an automatic water system makes keeping multiple bunnies so much easier.