new mother

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottontail

Reaction score
My californian is a new mother; her kis are 1 1/2 weeks old and she keps pulling hair to cover them. It is in he mid 80's here and the kits seem too hot. I uncover them and take them out to be in the house during the really hot times of the day and bring them back in the evening. is this normal? most of the other does dont cover them at this age.

most don't, but mine's did as well this last litter, and she is not a first timer.

Also, fur is an insulator and can help keep heat OUT as well as in :D

really? I guess you are right i shut my curtians to block out the cold in the winter and the heat in the sumer. interesting never thought of it that way.

once i dumped the nest box, thinking the furred kits would get to hot, only to have them climb back under the pile of fur and lay on top of each other.

My doe kept pulling fur, only 3 kits and it was her 3rd litter. 2 died because of all the danged fur! I dumped all the fur out, left a hint of hay and the baby in there for a week. Then took the nest out after that. It's so hot, both mom and baby lay with their chins resting on the water crock or jfeeder.

Back