New Member!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! I'm Haley. I'm new here. My bunnies are a Holland Lop Harlequin Buck named Noodle and a Holland Lop Broken Tort Doe named Saucy
Looking into breeding the 2 of them soon.
What color babies would I get?
For starters, you can expect that roughly half the litter will be brokens and half will be solids, but the number can vary.

You may get some tricolors, since a tricolor is a broken harlequin.

Tort is a self color, and harlequin is usually agouti, so you may see chestnuts and/or harlequinized chestnuts.

Your doe being a tort means she is a non-extension color, so the harlequin from your buck will dominate - so probably plenty of harlequins.

If your buck carries a non-extension gene, you may get non-extension colors like red/orange, and even torts if he also carries a self gene.

I love the tort color in Hollands! My daughter's buck Drizzle is a broken tort:
Drizzle Sept 22.jpg Drizzle BIS.jpg

you might well get torted harlequins. Tort x harlequin isn't the best combination of colours if breeding for show/pedigrees. BUT if just breeding for fun/pet homes or other purposes, it all works.

There is an app in the google play store that allows you to browse a database of pictures. You choose the ones that look like your rabbits, and cross them in the app. It will gove you all the genotype possibilites between the cross. I forget the name of the app, and stopped using it because I really do not need it anymore. I was able to identify my rabbit's genotypes and predicted almost woth 100% accuracy the resulting colors from the breeding.

I play a game online that is a rabbit breeding game. You could buy rabbits with the genotype matching yours, and breed them in the game. You will get a representation of the genotypes and phenotypes that are possible. The browser game is called Leporidae.

Latest posts

Back