New Member - Tennessee

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZaraJ

Reaction score
I'm not new to rabbits but new to the meat side of things. I've taken my dogs off of the typical dry dog food b/c I noticed a huge difference in their health after I chose to make their food fresh for a period of time and then went back to dry store bought (yes, even the no grain, high dollar foods) due to my time constraints. I've decided to suck it up and take the time to make their food b/c the difference in their overall health and energy level was so significant. That said, I've had rabbits over the years here and there, so I'm not completely new to them but I know that going over to the meat side of things I'll need to learn a whole other side and come to terms with psychological part.... TBH, my biggest fear is dispatching humanely and quickly b/c in my mind I'm taking an innocent life and that bothers me on one hand. (emotional side).... I completely comprehend the "circle of life" and can rationalize not allowing my dogs to starve and that animals are being raised and dispatched for this purpose regardless where they're coming from (ie; out of the dog food bag from the store)... (logical side) ............
Furthermore, I'd like to get to a point where I'm able to cook rabbit to feed myself and my family as well. I would prefer to raise my own food so that I'm assured that A) The animals were treated with kindness and respect during their lifetime... B) The animals were fed a healthy diet along w/a healthy lifestyle ....
"You are what you eat' is real, imo... So, this has to do with our health and happiness as much as it does the rabbits....
Anyway, that's my story... Simple... I'm on the same adventure with goat, chicken and quail...

Howdy! Have you been able to get rabbits for your meat project? I started out by having some pet rabbits when I was little, and then moved on to raising them for meat later. I find that cervical dislocation is the quickest and easiest dispatching method for me. I have never had someone say they didn't like the rabbit meat we raised, which is great!

I have thought about raising jumbo coturnix quail. What quail are you raising? How are you liking it?

Howdy! Have you been able to get rabbits for your meat project? I started out by having some pet rabbits when I was little, and then moved on to raising them for meat later. I find that cervical dislocation is the quickest and easiest dispatching method for me. I have never had someone say they didn't like the rabbit meat we raised, which is great!

I have thought about raising jumbo coturnix quail. What quail are you raising? How are you liking it?
Hi!....I don't have rabbits just yet; I'm in the midst of planning proper housing..
As far as the quail go, it's going to be the Jumbo Coturnix. I've zero experience with quail, so they'll be a whole new adventure....
I'll need to learn to perform the cervical dislocation as well as dressing them out properly. That's one of the many things that I hope to learn from those who have experience.
As far as the breed of meat rabbit, I've not yet decided....From my current understanding, the NZ is the diamond in the meat rabbit world, but I do love the fur of the Rex and the nature of the Silver Fox... There are just so many that it's going to take some research and listening to others who are most familiar with these breeds to make a decision. I hope to be ready to purchase within the next 3 wks.

Back